Convert from Pristine Blue to BBB

Apr 2, 2013
I just opend my pool yesterday and got filter/pump up and running! Looking to convert from the Pristine Blue that previous owner used since 2007. Took test with follwoing results:
FC=0
TC=0
PH=6.0
ALK=30
Hard=70
CYA=0

What is my first step in converting to Chlorine? HELP!

You need one more piece of information, which is your copper level. If copper is 0.3 or higher you either need to replace water to get the copper level down, or use a sequestrant to prevent the copper from forming stains. If copper is below 0.3 then you don't need to do anything special, just follow the usual procedures we recommend in Pool School.

Until you get the copper level resolved you don't want to add chlorine or raise the PH above 7.2, least you run a risk of causing copper stains (which are often impossible to remove from vinyl).

In the meantime you can start raising CYA to around 30 to 40, which is safe to do regardless.

I'm still new here, but based on what I know, you'd need to add some stabilizer to bring it up to at least 30ppm. Also add some borax to get your pH up a little bit -- this will also increase your total alkalinity. Use the pool calculator http://www.poolcalculator.com to determine the amounts to add. Lastly, you need some chlorine! You will want to add enough bleach (again, use the pool calculator) to get your FC up to around 4.

I believe Pristine Blue adds copper to the water, but I could be mistaken. I'm not sure if you'll need to do any draining or adding sequestering agents or else you may get some green hair! :)

Disclaimer: Still new here, hopefully someone else will chime in and say 'yep, that's about right' or 'no, don't listen to this dope' :-D

Edit: Jason got his reply in before me. He's considerably more knowledgeable than I so I would heed his instructions. On another note, it doesn't look like I was far off :cheers:

I assume I have to find a local pool store that tests copper levels. I will try and find somewhere this evening.
Until them I will start to raise the CYA. How do I get copper level down? Can I just use a metal sequestering agent if I can't get copper level down?

Perhaps it is most appropriate to say that sequestrant can prevent green hair, rather than it will. Figuring out the correct dosage of sequestrant is rather hit or miss. It is difficult to tell if you have used enough to prevent green hair issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the ecopper level tested last night! Here are the latest numbers:
FC= .31
TC= .31
PH= 7.1
Alk= 33
Hardness= 12
CYA=4
Copper = 1.6ppm (Gues former owner did great job winterizing)

I added a 32 oz bottle of Magic Jack Blue stuff to water last night. What is my next step?

First thing you need to do is to get a good test kit. The Taylor K-2006 or the TF100 (from http://www.tftestkits.net). You need to be able to test the numbers and get repeatable results. Pool store results have such a large margin of error. (For example, the delta between your two test results shows a 58ppm drop in hardness. I assume you didn't drain/refill the pool?)

That said, you need to get some CYA in there -- enough to get it to at least 30ppm. Then add some bleach to get your FC up to around 4. You can also add some borax to get the pH up a tad. That will increase your TA a little as well. http://poolcalculator.com can help you with the right amounts.

Tested copper level this morning and it is down to 1.0
PH =6.8
Added 4 lbs of CYA and another 16 oz of Magic Jack BLue Stuff.

Will add bleach tonight to try and bring FC up to 4

Anything else before I balance the pool water? Do I have to waint until I get copper level down ?

With copper that high, you want to raise the FC and PH levels very gradually, and add more sequestrant at the first suggestion of staining. Longer term you need to balance out the relative costs of continuing to use sequestrant vs replacing most of your water. Sequestrant breaks down slowly over time, so you need to be routinely adding more as long as copper remains above 0.3. The dosage suggestions on the sequestrant bottle are a good place to get a more specific idea of how much to use.

You want to replace enough water to get the copper level down to 0.3 (or lower). If your current copper level is indeed 1.0, that would mean replacing 70% of the water. However, there is always a bit of an approximation in any test result, so you would want to replace say 50% or 60% and see what that does to the copper level and continue from there until it was 0.3 or lower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.