Should I use a pool sucker pipette?

Jun 4, 2009
Sullivan County, NY
I saw a guy at a commercial pool use a big turkey baster-like water sucker (ball on one end of tube) to get his water sample.

This would be a nice way to avoid getting my arm wet when testing.

Do people here use or recommend using one of these?

Ideally, it would be well graduated (100ml?).

Thanks,

Joseph

I use a turkey baster and fill a cup with water. That way I can go sit on the patio with my TF100 on the table and do all my tests with the same sample. The baster also makes it easy to draw water back out of the cup and squeeze the right amount into the vials. I have enough water left to rinse my vials and powder spoon.

erivette said:
I use a turkey baster and fill a cup with water. That way I can go sit on the patio with my TF100 on the table and do all my tests with the same sample. The baster also makes it easy to draw water back out of the cup and squeeze the right amount into the vials. I have enough water left to rinse my vials and powder spoon.

That's a great system -- much better than multiple dips into the pool for samples.

Just any old glass cup?

Just any old turkey baster?

Thanks!

josephny said:
erivette said:

That's a great system -- much better than multiple dips into the pool for samples.

Just any old glass cup?

Thanks!
Not glass. Plastic only around the pool!

I use a piece of PVC and a plastic two cup measuring cup with a pour spout that I bought at the pool store. Same thing - seated comfortably at the patio table. Just don't mistake the measuring cup for the coffee mug. :oops:

Richard320 said:
josephny said:
erivette said:

Just any old glass cup?

Thanks!
Not glass. Plastic only around the pool!

I use a piece of PVC and a plastic two cup measuring cup with a pour spout that I bought at the pool store. Same thing - seated comfortably at the patio table. Just don't mistake the measuring cup for the coffee mug. :oops:

Got it -- of course, no glass makes sense.

I tried the CPVC and it works great. Now I'll add a hard plastic cup and I'll be all set.

Thanks everyone.

The problem with a turkey baster is that you can't very far underwater and still stay dry (at least the basters I have seen). Generally you want to be a ways underwater to grab you test sample (18 inches is good). The pipe method mentioned above is much better imo since it allows for a deeper sample.

Mine seems pretty standard although it's stainless steel not plastic. And it's 12" long not counting the squeeze bulb. FWIW My tests, whether I stay out of water or put my hand in up to my wrist (the extra 6"), are consistent. No idea if the results would be different if I drew the sample from deeper than 2'. I'll try next time just for kicks.

Pipette, great idea :).

I tried drawing my 1st sample using a 3/4" PVC pipe. I installed a PVC valve on my pipe instead of using my hand to cover the top of the pipe.

It worked ok but it doesn't hold the water very well when I remove the pipe from the pool water before I'm able to release the water into my sample container.

I think I read in another thread here were someone mentioned that a 1" PVC pipe doesn't work well as the inside diameter of the PVC pipe is too large allowing some or most of the water to drain from the pipe while lifting it out of the pool.

Is that the problem with using a 3/4" PVC pipe? Would a 1/2" pipe hold the water longer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a Play Day saber pump squirter I found in the pool toys at Walmart. It's about 18 inches long and works like a big syringe. Gets the sample from the right depth, just happens to fill a Leslie's sample bottle perfectly, and the 98 cents price tag is cheap enough I don't worry about it getting broken or lost.

It can even be used as a pool toy ! :grin:

I use a Play Day saber pump squirter I found in the pool toys at Walmart. It's about 18 inches long and works like a big syringe. Gets the sample from the right depth, just happens to fill a Leslie's sample bottle perfectly, and the 98 cents price tag is cheap enough I don't worry about it getting broken or lost.

It can even be used as a pool toy ! :grin:

:rockon:

Thanks for the ideas.

I settled on the 4 ft length 1/2" PVC pipe with a PVC Valve at the top. The leakage, when drawn out of the pool before I open the valve into my sample cup, is slower than with the 3/4" PVC pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.