Redneck Pool Heater

Shoot me but that's really very cool! The sheer inventiveness appeals to me.

We get a lot of power outages here. No power = no hot water for showers. No water, either, of course, since we're on a well. But I do have a 125 gal tank up on the hill. I'm thinking gravity flow through the copper tubes on the grill and out a garden hose sprayer and voila! Hot shower!

Ya, I'll have to get right on that :)

tnthudson said:
I wonder how well it works?

Not well. A small grill like that doesn't put out much heat compared to a typical pool heater, so it would take forever to heat the pool. The long snake of pipe he made is good for reaching the maximum water temperature but very inefficient for heating pools. You would actually want to run parallel runs of pipe from a manifold at either end to improve efficiency. The small pipe diameter would also severely restrict the max flow rate you could achieve. I could go on, but there isn't much point.

It does look very cool.

AnnaK said:
Shoot me but that's really very cool! The sheer inventiveness appeals to me.

We get a lot of power outages here. No power = no hot water for showers. No water, either, of course, since we're on a well. But I do have a 125 gal tank up on the hill. I'm thinking gravity flow through the copper tubes on the grill and out a garden hose sprayer and voila! Hot shower!

Ya, I'll have to get right on that :)

I can also see some benefits to this like you said for a hot shower. After the Hurricanes we were without power for almost a month and this heater would have made life a little easier. The only down side would be trying to get propane.

Eddie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.