CPO Course

Jun 1, 2008
NW MO
I am not sure where the best place for this question is...

I have had a pool at home since 2004 and have been doing BBB since 2006. Although I don't consider myself an expert, I am comfortable explaining BBB to others as well as other pool chemistry questions.

Several months ago I accepted a position that involves taking care of a semi-public indoor pool. I know that pool chemistry is slightly different for indoor pools that get little sunlight. It has been a long transition for me into this position and the current person that takes care of the pool (mechanically and chemically) will be stepping down over the next couple months. In preparation for that, I will be attending a CPO class as required by state law. After reading these forums for years, I am afraid that I am going to be frustrated in the class as they tell me things that contradict BBB principals. Is there anything specific that I should know prior to taking the class?

Most of the ways we take care of this pool is very similar to BBB, so I am not overly concerned. We use liquid chlorine and muratic acid pumps via a Chemtrol. We add sodium bicarbonate to the water to raise TA. All of that is basically the same way I care for my home pool except the chemtrol (which I am grateful I don't have to add everything manually), but everything I have read says not to trust electronic chemistry readings. We test the water manually using a DPD color comparator (does this only test total chlorine?)- obviously I think the FAS-DPD would be better, but in this case is it necessary? The water is crystal clear and has been for the past 5 years that I have been using the pool. The individual I am taking over for says the chlorine level should be 2-3 PPM - since it is an unstabilized pool that seems adequate. Am I wrong? We have no chloramine smell and other than the "salty" taste of the water no one complains. I blame the salt taste on the years of adding liquid chlorine and sodium bicarbonate without any significant water changes.

Is there any advice I should know?

Thanks!!

Somewhere there is a post from Chem Geek that contains all the things not taught in the class. That would be a good read.

Try searching, "what is not taught"
Found it:
viewtopic.php?t=18432

Are you not legally able to use CYA? There is certainly a benefit for indoor pools in the form of chlorine buffering.

Missouri State Swimming Pool Regulations requires a free chlorine residual of at least 1 ppm, a pH between 7.2 and 7.8, but is silent about Cyanuric Acid (CYA) aka stabilizer or conditioner. St. Charles County Code allows CYA up to 100 ppm. City of Kansas City Code allows for a maximum of 60 ppm and is recommended for outdoor pools and does not explicitly prohibit CYA in indoor pools. St. Louis County Code allows for a maximum of 100 ppm CYA, but explicitly prohibits CYA in indoor pools, spas, or public water recreation facilities without approval from the Department.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.