Have used Soft swim products for 12 years, tired of it

vps

May 27, 2013
So I am brand new to doing on my own. Have used Soft swim products for 12 years. (Tired of it. $$$$$ and never seem to have high enough C level.) Also live in very rural area and have well water with Culligan water system. Pool is small, 8000 gal. Have sand filter, 1 hp pump and Rheem heater (we have free gas from our gas well). I run pump 24/7, and have Turtle bottom skimmer running 1/2 time.
My husband hooked it all up last week, and always starts each year with fresh sand. I am on my own regarding chemical maintenance. The only thing I did so far was add Soft Swim A algacide last week. No chemicals other since last Oct. Can see bottom barely after running for one week. Since I added the Soft swim A, can I still start with bleach after getting ph adjusted? p.s. what is SWG?

So I got the TF-100 test kit the other day and just opened it. (R-0871 in the extra bag was leaking alittle. Lid was loose.) I have done nothing since adding soft swim A alage killer 2 week ago. Just running sand filter and back washing. I can see bottom and will send pictures before I add bleach.

Testing so far- pH-8.2
TA- 180
Ca-150

I was reading in pool school about conversion process from Soft swim to chlorine. Do I worry about the pH before starting. If I add acid, I wont be able to backwash for a week. I expect that once I start with bleach, I will be needing to backwash frequently for a while. Which do I do first?

So I have pH adjusted to 7.2 and currently adding bleach per pool calculator and taking reading every couple of hours. Backwashing as needed. 2-3 times today. I can see bottom has a lot of junk and tried to vacuum. Should I be vacuuming this stuff to waste? It seems like alot of the stuff and sand is coming back in. I always had a Turtle to clean the pool, so I never really did much vacuuming. But went through 2 turtles in last 10 years. So I mostly vacuumed last year. I always keep adjustment on head to "Filter". Is that correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.