Newbie Pool Owner

May 25, 2013
TF 100 is on the way, here are the numbers I have with the kit I currently have, home depot jammie...

FC 2.0
PH 7.6
TA 130

We bought a house with an approx 10 yr old 20x40 inground. This is my first pool, so this is a learn as you go type thing. Already have been to the pool store where I dropped about $100 in "chemicals" to get it opened. Had to shock and add "alkalinity plus". Has an inline chlorinator thats running now, but I am going to go BBB as soon as the test kit arrives. After the shock, pool store said the water is perfect with the sample I brought them. But we will see.
Every toy or hobby I have, I have a forum to go with it so I look forward to being a member here. Thanks already, wish I found this forum sooner!

Welcome to tfp, flopalock :wave:

No more alkalinity plus, your TA is already higher than ideal for a bleach chlorinated pool. Not a problem, it will come down on it's own eventually.

How does your water look?

Water is crystal clear, which is suprising given I pulled a garbage can full of leaves out of it after I took the cover off. It was a mess to say the least.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have a measurement for cya?

If you do and since your water is clear, then I would dose to the normal chlorine level for that cya level (see the poolcalculator.com recommended levels section) until your kit comes. Once the kit comes, run a full set of tests and post them.

The kit i have has an acid demand test that tells me to add 3 pints of muriatic acid, from what i can tell. Its minimal accordind to the chart in the kit, so i think i might wait til i can test with the 100.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

OK 100 in the mail after work and here is what I have:
CL 1.0
PH 7.5
FC 2.0
CC 0.5
TA 140
CH 170
CYA 50

I thought the CYA would've been a little higher given the auto chlorinator, but who knows what they were using. The CH has me annoyed since the guy at the pool store had me dump a bucket of something in the pool because the water was too hard. Now lemme go play with the pool calculator.

flopalock said:
OK 100 in the mail after work and here is what I have:
CL 1.0
PH 7.5
FC 2.0
CC 0.5
TA 140
CH 170
CYA 50

I thought the CYA would've been a little higher given the auto chlorinator, but who knows what they were using. The CH has me annoyed since the guy at the pool store had me dump a bucket of something in the pool because the water was too hard. Now lemme go play with the pool calculator.
Is the water clear? If so, just jack the FC up to about 6 and go swimming. :splash:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, other than FC, your numbers look good...lucky you on the cya level :whoot:

flopalock said:
The CH has me annoyed since the guy at the pool store had me dump a bucket of something in the pool because the water was too hard.
Now you have the knowledge which gives you the power...so never let them do that to you again :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.