Install Hayward Skimmer to Intex Ultra Frame Pool...FAIL

AZLynn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and take an axe to anything Intex.

I have loved my Intex Ultra Frame (16X48) pool and thought I would love it even more with a sand filter. I already had a SWG (copper bars removed) so I bought a 2650 Intex sand filter. All went well with the install until I realized I couldn't take the strainer grid off to clean it if it became clogged. Well that kind of negates the sand filter if nothing can get to the sand.

Hmmm I need a skimmer then.

So, I turned to you guys for advice (long time lurker/reader, only one post, I think). Bought the Hayward skimmer on Amazon, finally found a shut off valve I could actually turn (did I mention I'm a weak female). Got a few other things (pvc pipe, cantex box adapter, some other adapter that I probably didn't even need), thought I had it all figured out.

Bolted the skimmer on the wall (yep, it was hard punching those holes, still haven't cut the liner). Went about assembling the shut off valve, pipe, etc. and realized I never figured out how to connect the Intex hose to the PVC to attach it to the skimmer. I don't want to pipe everything, I just wanted to put in a shut off valve with some pipe and attach to the existing Intex hose. Basically, the skimmer would have PVC, then a shut off valve, then PVC then something and then the Intex hose, which would be connected to the Intex Sand filter. It's the something that I can't figure out.

I have read all of the threads (some multiple times) and still can't figure it out. I'm on the verge of just buying a 1.5 inch hose and using hose clamps to put it on. The way my luck has been going (did I mention the skimmer came in the mail last Wednesday and it's now Monday and I still haven't finished this?) the hose won't fit or they will be sold out. I've been to Home Depot at least three times and Lowes at least three times and even went to two different pool stores just in case they had some magical connector. I can find the plumbing aisles with my eyes closed now and am still no closer to figuring it out than I was almost a week ago.

I promise you I'm not stupid, but with all those pictures that no longer work, I've been trying to wing it and I have had no formal (or informal) plumbing training.

I have four cantex connectors, but no idea what to do with them. I even sanded off the letters on one, but the only idea I had about where it went didn't work.

So I'm turning to you all for help. I can't finish this without you. My next stop is either Lowes or Home Depot to buy a regular 6 foot hose and two hose clamps unless you can tell me how to finish what I started with the other plan. I'm at a loss and need your help.

So sorry you are having difficulties with this. Sit tight and stay away from the axe! Someone will help you as soon as they see this. You are going to have a nice pool when you are finished!!! :goodjob:

A pic of your hose ends may be helpful its been a long time since i've owned an intex pool.I'm not sure if they've changed their hose design since then.They used to use a gear clamp on the hose to connect it to the pool.

Normally the Cantex box adapters are used with a pvc coupling and the collar on your intex hose.Basically you cut the hose so you can remove the collar in 1piece.You then insert the box adapter into the collar and glue the coupling to the back side of the box adapter.You then glue a piece of pipe into the other side of the coupling.You now have an adapter.Make sure that the threads on your collar are pointed towards the flanged side of your box adapter and not pointed towards the coupling.Dry fit it first and you'll see what I mean.You only want to do this if your trying to get rid of your hoses and hard pipe everything.The adapter will allow you to connect hard pipe straight to your intex equipment.If you don't want to hard pipe everything go the hose barb and gear clamp route.

Note:you should end up with a 1/4 -3/8"space between the back of the collar and the Coupling..this allows the collar to turn so you can screw it onto your equipment threads.

Thanks Rob, I understand that part, but I was trying to use the hose for part of it still. Basically a part pvc, part hose configuration. I found a connector that MIGHT work. It's a male connector that sort of matches the Intex threading. It's a little tight, but I'm going to try some grease and see if that helps. If not, I'll go with the hose and clamps for now. I'm not ready to hard pipe yet.

Update:

The connector I found wouldn't work even with grease. I bought a "filter replacement hose" at Lowes and it won't fit on the Intex sand filter connection so I'm going to stop by one of the pool stores this afternoon to see what they suggest.

I did notice the hose I bought has an OD of 1.5 and Lowes had some pool/spa flex tubing/hose that had an ID of 1.5. It was high on a shelf and the Lowes employees on duty last night were of little help so I couldn't tell how flexible it was. It's cut to fit, so I want to see what the pool store suggests since the other hose wouldn't work.

Meanwhile my pool stagnates. If the pool store has no helpful suggestions, I may end up hard piping anyway.

I'm starting to hate Intex.

:party:

PROBLEM SOLVED

I remembered seeing a hose connection kit on here and found it online, but was leery of buying it without knowing it would work. Well, the local pool store had one in stock and it works.

You can use it to attach an intex hose directly to a non-Intex skimmer or filter or (and the next part is theory) you could use it with pvc to have part pvc and part hose.

I am considering trying the latter part because I want a shut off valve and otherwise I will have created a tripping hazard for the dogs. They insist on going between the pump and pool. I didn't want to place it too close but obviously went a little too far since they insist on going between them. The intex hose is too short to reach the skimmer and still be close enough to the ground they won't trip on it. Alternately, I could move the filter closer, but it has a lot of sand in it and is on stepping stones. It will slide though so I think I'm going to try this option first. I won't have the shut off valve, but at this point I just want to get it up and running.

Back to the topic though. If you want to use part pvc and part hose, here's the set up (remember it's still theory).

Hayward skimmer, male adapter (it came with skimmer), pvc pipe, shut off valve, pvc pipe, female adapter (might need something else between the pvc pipe and female adapter if it doesn't fit in the pvc pipe, but I'm not sure), hose connection kit adapter, intex hose.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. :cheers:

I am very glad that you solved your problem. I just installed my Hayward skimmer on my 15 ft. Intex pool yesterday, and I definitely understand the hose adaptation issues! I have gotten most of my PVC pieces together, but decided to put it off for a bit. Really liking the Hayward skimmer!

Good luck to you.

AZLynn said:

PROBLEM SOLVED

I remembered seeing a hose connection kit on here and found it online, but was leery of buying it without knowing it would work. Well, the local pool store had one in stock and it works.

You can use it to attach an intex hose directly to a non-Intex skimmer or filter or (and the next part is theory) you could use it with pvc to have part pvc and part hose.

I am considering trying the latter part because I want a shut off valve and otherwise I will have created a tripping hazard for the dogs. They insist on going between the pump and pool. I didn't want to place it too close but obviously went a little too far since they insist on going between them. The intex hose is too short to reach the skimmer and still be close enough to the ground they won't trip on it. Alternately, I could move the filter closer, but it has a lot of sand in it and is on stepping stones. It will slide though so I think I'm going to try this option first. I won't have the shut off valve, but at this point I just want to get it up and running.

Back to the topic though. If you want to use part pvc and part hose, here's the set up (remember it's still theory).

Hayward skimmer, male adapter (it came with skimmer), pvc pipe, shut off valve, pvc pipe, female adapter (might need something else between the pvc pipe and female adapter if it doesn't fit in the pvc pipe, but I'm not sure), hose connection kit adapter, intex hose.

Hi there,
Can you give me a part # or place where u bought it so I can find it?
thanks

my pool store didnt have one :( . I was using a b adapter and the billionth time it fell off I decided something needed to be done asap. So I made one using a 2" (thread) x 1.5 (glued side) male adapter and a rubber gasket that had the same id as the hose but was a bit larger on the outside. I figured the intex hose used more of a flange style seal than threaded seal so I did the following. I just removed the letters on the adapter. Then used my dremel and cut all but 2 threads off, so I could tighten the hose all the way down. Then I trimmed the outside of the gasket to fit. If I remember I'll snap a pic.

AZLynn said:

PROBLEM SOLVED

If you want to use part pvc and part hose, here's the set up (remember it's still theory).

Did it look something like this? The smaller thread is a standard NPT male thread that screws right into 1-1/2" NPT PVC fittings. The larger thread accepts your Intex hose connection. I'm using a pair of these in my skimmer arrangement and they work like a charm :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CeeElGee said:
AZLynn said:

PROBLEM SOLVED

If you want to use part pvc and part hose, here's the set up (remember it's still theory).

Did it look something like this? The smaller thread is a standard NPT male thread that screws right into 1-1/2" NPT PVC fittings. The larger thread accepts your Intex hose connection. I'm using a pair of these in my skimmer arrangement and they work like a charm :-D

Thanks for explaining the function. finally.
I just ordered a couple sets at www.doheny.com/?
Part # is 34560 and they are in stock.

Thanks,
Heiko

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.