I'm guessing that Cal-Hypo may be good for me

Re: Why do you never recommend Cal-Hypo?

This is an old Post, but I didn't want to start a new one just for this question.
Can you use Cal Hypo Tabs in a Rainbow 300 Inline Chlorinator?
It seems I read somewhere that Cal Hypo Tabs get messy & gooey.
Thanks.

dino1956 said:
This is an old Post, but I didn't want to start a new one just for this question.
Can you use Cal Hypo Tabs in a Rainbow 300 Inline Chlorinator?
It seems I read somewhere that Cal Hypo Tabs get messy & gooey.
Thanks.
:!: You should never put cal-hypo in a trichlor feeder, even if it is empty :!:

Also, cal-hypo dissolves much faster than trichlor tabs, so a different feeder design is needed.

I fought off the urge to ask about using Cal-Hypo, searched the site and found this thread. In my case I could have used Cal-Hypo off and on with my bleach and raised my CH without buying CH increaser. I have a vinyl pool liner and shouldn't worry about it anyway but my CH was 30 and I don't feel comfortable with it being that low. I will carefully start using Cal-Hypo in conjunction with my bleach and continue to keep a close watch on my tests. In south Mississippi we have plenty of evaporation and rain to help keep the CH down. As has been said many times already on this thread, the main thing is to understand what is happening with the chemicals in your pool. Thanks to TFP and my TFP test kit, this is my second year to open the pool and be pristine and swimmable in 2-3 days.

Since Cal-Hypo does not completely dissolve instantly, be sure to lightly brush the area of the pool (usually in front of a return flow) where you add it so as to ensure thorough mixing. You don't want particles of it sitting on the bottom of your vinyl pool (though it's not as bad as having Trichlor sit on the bottom with its acidity). Or you can try to pre-dissolve it in a bucket of water though that may take multiple times as it can get saturated.

I have low CH fill water here (around 30ppm) and could get away with using Cal-Hypo some of the time, but I choose not to based on safety issues, as I do keep trichlor and dichlor on hand for occasional CYA tweaking. Rather than worry about the potential for Cal-Hypo to be accidentally mixed with these perhaps causing a fire or explosion, I simply avoid ever having Cal-Hypo on site.

I got rid of all my Tabs. I'm strictly using Bleach & Liquid Chlorine, due to a high CYA caused by years of Tabs.
There is a Cal-Hypo Product called Shockwave that has 72% Available Chlorine.
I saw someone add it to the skimmer & he claims because of it's PH, it won't hurt equipment & it can be added in that manner.
Do you guys agree? Otherwise I'll mix it in a Bucket with Water.
I may get some to keep around, in case my Shock with Chlorine, tends to need a lot more gallons.
I just added almost 20 LBs. Of Calcium Chloride.
And I'm just about at 300 CH, after adding. Was at 100. I have Plaster Pool.
Had I known about Cal Hypo adding Calcium, I may have went that route to both Shock & get CH to go up.

Generally, we don't advocate dumping anything in the skimmer. It could clump up in an elbow or at a valve and cause flow problems. And if you need to backwash, who knows how much of whatever remains undissolved in there that's going out the waste pipe?

Scoop out a bucket of pool water, add your powder and give it a mix and pour it in front of a return. Rinse the bucket. Sweep any undissolved powder drifts. Done. Two minutes.

That's why I asked. Richard, your the best! :)

A bit off topic, but I found Liquid Chlorine at ACE Hardware. They sell it out of a huge Tower & put it in 2.5 Gallon Buckets.
First time you buy they charge your for container. Comes to $14.
For Refills after that it's $5.00
They say it's 12% Chlorine.
But I did some research & went to another ACE Hardware & they said their's was 10%. Same Tower.
I think it's all 10% & my store is trying to impress customers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

One more question! (Last Famous Words :)
One Treatment of 3 -1LB Bags of Cal-Hypo in a 28.000 Gallon Pool To Shock.
How much will that raise my Calcium Number? Just a guestimate, if you will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.