Run pump 24/7 Y/N

The amount of time you need to run the pump varies for each pool. It depends on the relative size of the pump and the pool. However the ideal run time is almost never as long as 24 hours a day, except for a few cases where you have a variable speed pump running at a very low speed.

12 hours a day is a good starting place. Run that way for a week and then see if the water still looks as good as you are used to running 24/7. If it still looks great, try a shorter run time. If it doesn't look quite right, try a longer run time.

rrakestraw,

Some TFP members run their pumps 24 hours per day, but I would say that most do not. Many TFP members seem to run their pumps for 8-10 hours per day in the summer and maybe only 2-6 hours per day in the winter. I personally have been running my pump for about 2.5 hours per day with no problem.

Many pool owners "inherited" the idea of running their pumps 24 hours per day from their pool builder. This advice, however, doesn't cost the pool builder a cent (unlike the pool owner).

What I would suggest is cutting your runtime back to 12 hours per day. Then observe your pool water for the next week. If you don't observe any decrease in water quality, then the 12 hours per day will work for you. Similarly, you can try cutting back from 12 hours per day in 1 or 2 hour increments, waiting a week to see if there is any change in water quality.

If you see a theme here, it is because there is. The theme is observe your pool water and let those observations guide your actions. If you have any questions or problems, we'll be here.

Please post the particulars of your pool size and pool equipment in your signature. This information will let us help you more efficiently. Here are some guidelines on what kind of information we are looking for in your signature. http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=3662

Titanium

I used to run my 2-speed for 12 hours on LO but have found that I can cut that back to 6 hours at night when the rates are lower plus a couple hours during the day after we're done swimming. I run it on HI when vacuuming once or twice a week. This works well for our size pool and our usage.

I'm with Anna, but we run ours a little more...28k gallon pool

low 10 hours a day 4 hours on high, energy savings so far have been about $100 a month but now we have to start running the AC inside :(

Any chance we could do a "Pump Run Time" sticky?

I run mine on Low speed of a two speed pump for 10 hours a day right now and my water is clear as can be. I run mine in the daytime hours just because thats when I want it to be on, but I would imagine that the electric costs would be a little cheaper running it at night instead. I can't imagine anybody needing to run one 24/7, and if they did, they REALLY need to look into changing some things out.

rrakestraw,

Welcome to the forum. All these answers above are really good and they point out how important it is that you judge your individual pool. Titanium's suggestion to start out at 12 hours and adjust up or down is excellent.

As you can see, others have different equipment and different swimming loads and they have learned to run according to what fits their situation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run my filter only at night, I turn it on when I add Liq. Chlor. to bring it up to maintance levels. When I shock I run it 24/7 until it goes back down to maintance levels. If I am working on a problem I will run it 24/7 until the problem clears up.

In the heat of summer I run mine 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the late afternoon/evening. I also add my chemicals (bleach, acid, etc) after the sun is off the pool when the pump is running.

We run our pump 24/7 on low; always have; on high for vacuming...with our center drain I only have to do that once or twice a season. Probably overkill, I know...and I may get around to purchasing a timer one of these days....

I only notice an increase of $15 a month to run the pump.

When I first found this forum and ask the same question (twice), but nobody can give me a clear answer. Now that I found me ideal running time with all the information I found on this site, I'll give some back on my findings.

Basically, the common run time would be two turn over of your water per day during summer (opened season) and one turnover during winter (closed season). Some went below one turnover per day if the conditions are all very favorable such as minimal dirt getting in, low bather load, less direct strong sunlight, good hydraulic design (promote even circulation) and most importantly, good balanced chemistry. I run mine at 2 1/2 hours per day the last 3 months without a problem.

A turnover is when the pump has pumped the same amount of water as the size of the pool.

Typically a residential pool is designed to be able to have between two and three turnovers per day with the pump running the full 24 hours. A good pump run time often comes out to be about one turnover per day in mid-summer, so 8 to 12 hours. However, many pools are over built. It is quite common for the pump to be too large and so get a turnover in less than 8 hours.

The problem with all of this is that it is rather difficult to figure out your flow rate if you don't have a flow meter. And it isn't really one turnover a day that is the goal. The real goal is to have the water be clear and sparkling and it is easier to judge that by eye then it is to figure out how long a turnover takes for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.