sand filter tank leaking

elemke

May 27, 2013
i just noticed that i developed a leak on my sand filter housing. i have a 26" eco kleer filter. the leak is where they attached the drain fitting to the tank. is there a way to repair this?

The drain fitting should be a bulkhead type fitting. If it's leaking at the seal against the vessel you'll have to remove all the sand in order to repair or replace it.

If it's the cap seal that's leaking, you can shut the pump off and remove the cap and replace or clean and lube the o-ring and get it to seal without losing any sand.

Sorry, I should have looked that one up. That part is molded into the vessel. There's no way to fix it. You'll have to replace the filter. You might be able to find a vessel but they tend to be as expensive as a whole filter.

Those operate under quite a bit of pressure... careful when you "do work" on a pressure vessel! It can certainly hurt someone if you compromise the integrity of the shell.

Just me, but I would replace the thing. Safety is more important than saving a few hundred dollars to me.

Wish me luck, :idea: i've cleaned out the crack and drilled two small holes at the beginning and end of it to stop it from spreading (not completely thru). applied a generous layer of jb weld, and is currently drying. will try it tomorrow. :?:

If you don't return, we'll know why! :shock: You've been advised by knowledgeable people not to proceed. I hope that no one gets hurt being in n around the pool if it doesn't hold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Were I to risk a repair, I think I would probably do a fiberglass repair, to give the flaw some strength in tension. but hey, if it works yay! If it fails I would grind off the JB and go back with some fiberglass and resin and then paint the whole shebang to protect against UV degradation.

Might be a good idea to paint what you have there to prolong it under the UV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.