Opened the pool today and found a leak in the heater

danpik

TFP Guide
Jun 4, 2012
western NY
Pulled the cover today...hooked up the pump, etc...Saw water leaking out of the bottom of the heater. Now What!? pulled the cover, and saw water streaming out to one of the elbows on the heat exchanger. Pulled it out and saw this...

Took longer to get the tools out that it did to fix it...

Put it all back together and it is working fine now. Seems like I have to fix something every year.

great job...on my H250 hayward, the two return pipes in th eheat exchanger were rotted away when I started my pool this year...a three year old heater too!!!! i brought it to my local plumber and he told me the tubing was odd sized almost like a/c refrig tubing...he was afraid to try and fix it.....a new exchanger was 700 bucks so i tried my local hardware store...after 20 dollars of frozen/ cracked pipe over size tubing, a couple of copper couplers, some solder, some liquid solder in a bottle (epoxy) and a tubing cutter and I was back in business......i drove the oversize pipe into the good part of the rotted pipe and let the liquid solder dry then i split the couplers so they fit over the bigger tubing and soldered that and the split i put into it....i then took some black hi temp silicone sealer and put some over the rubber o-ring that the pipes slipped into....crossed my fingers and fired it up...knock on wood no leaks 10 days later.....now I am working with hayward on a new exchanger because even though it was 2 years past warranty they would "as a courtesy" replace the exchange if i had an authorized hayward dealer install it for me.....really???? i just took it out, diagnosed it,repaired it and reinstalled it and you need someone else to install it for a charge...oh well, stgay tuned for this

well being the pool was closed all winter, I would say it would be hard to tell but the heater was drained and antifreeze installed......i personally think there is an issue with the hayward heaters because the only tubes that were compromised were the outlet side of ther heater,,,the cold side was perfectly fine....i have a check valve in the auto chlorinator so that isnt a problem....the ph in my pool is in the 7.2 to 7.6 range when i use it and right before i closed it

Vette said:
duraleigh said:
great job...on my H250 hayward, the two return pipes in th eheat exchanger were rotted away when I started my pool this year...a three year old heater too
What was your pH during this time period?

I would like to know details as well. I just got a Hayward heater.

I am really starting to believe this is a Hayward defect. I think they realize no one records their water tests and conveniently use this fact to excuse their HE that fail prematurely. My heater failed after three years. We replaced it with the identical one last summer. It has 3 months use on it. I have recorded every water test since the new one and it is leaking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.