Pool Water Problem - White flecks - White Mold?

skillset

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Central NJ
I opened my 10K gallon fiberglass pool about 48 hours ago, running the pump continuously. I've been following the BBB method for years now with great results. After 48 hours, my water looks crystal clear but the pool surface contains small white flecks (about the size of rice) but disintegrate when you are able to "catch" one. The naturally seem to repel a finger. Anyway, I've been trying to search the internet and TFP for similar issues. The closest one I found was on TFP:

anyone-have-experiance-with-white-mold-t26231.html?hilit=white%20mold

But, seems like the person above had the issue only when he ran the pump but the problem he describes in the opener is the same.

I also see some advice on PoolForum: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive/in ... b9d81d61d9 It talks a lot of brushing but not sure what this means - the fiberglass is smooth with nothing on it.

Since opening the pool, I've added significant Clorox to keep pool about 20, CYA, and baking soda. I've also put in a treatment of Leslie's Ultra Bright. I know the forum does not recommend clarifiers, but I did try it. I also, as usual, add DE to my sand filter to allow for better filtering. I added no outside water.

It's a sunny day in NJ and the anything on the top of the water is casting a shadow on the bottom. Since the water cleared up great since opening, it's painfully obviously that I have an issue I see fleck shadows on the bottom!

Current readings: Cl: 15 (added another 8 just now) Alk: 100 Ph:7.2 CYA: A bit less than 40. Pump is up 4lbs pressure since opening, 5lbs if you count the 1lb for adding the DE. I have not backwashed. I intend to keep at shock level until I get no Cl loss overnight. Water was still clearing as of last night and this morning was clear so I was expecting some Cl loss overnight.

I have no ladders in the pool. I do have a light.

As an experiment, I put some water in a large bowl. After adding some Polyquat 60 (I only use this stuff for closing) and bleach, I don't notice a difference. The flecks remain. I've waited about 30 minutes and no change.

How do you get rid of this?

Can you swim in this ? Water looks great but not sure I want to go in it!

Thanks. I've never added Calcium before. I think I have reagents for calcium but haven't tested for it in years. If it is Calcium, why isn't the filter filtering this out and would the reading be high, then?

It could be pollen. I thought something was wrong with my water too even though my numbers were perfect. Seemed like it would never go away or filter through. I got some skimmer socks and noticed almost immediately they were building up with a sandish colored goo. When it dried, it kinda looked like pieces of sponge. That's pollen. Try a skimmer sock and see if the same happens.

Thanks for the replies. Will keep you posted. I did backwash the filter and I had some sand filter cleaner that I used. Hard to see the flecks in dusk/night so hopefully it will be less. Will try the sock tomorrow if still having issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.