Test your fill water and rain

May 18, 2008
Maryland
Thanks to the BBB method and this forum I was able to quickly clean up my swamp water. For the past two weeks I have been trying to get my TA down to about 90 using the MA method but at the same time I was cleaning dead alga from the bottom of the pool by vacuuming to waste. I could not understand why my TA would at first go down then go back up. I read in an earlier post about high TA levels in the fill water so I checked mine and sure enough my fill water tested TA at 240. So needless to say when I refilled my pool each time after vacuuming I was also increasing my TA!

Since I am all out of MA and must go to the store and buy some more I thought I would ask if anyone knows how much I should buy to get my TA down to 90. Also, is 90 a good place to be, my pool is in the sun most of the day, I have a vinyl liner AGP, 23,000 Gal. Here are my current test results using the TF test kit:

FC 5
PH 7.5
TA 110
CYA 60

Thanks for all your help.

I was under the impression that if the TA was lower it would help stabilize my PH. At this point when I bring my PH down to 7 it will increase to 7.5 or 7.6 in a matter of 1 1/2 days with out any additional aeration. Last year, I had to keep adding PH down, this year I wanted to avoid that. Have I understood this wrong? Is it normal to keep adjusting the PH every other day?

Hi countrygirl,

The info you are looking for is in the "Stickies" section located at the top of each page in the sub-headings, also a link in my sig.

You can determine your chemical doses with Jason's Pool Calculator and there is a sticky on lowering your TA.

Last I looked, Jason's calculator will not tell you how much acid to add to lower TA, just PH. It is one thing that I find missing as my fill water TA is very high and I need to keep my TA around 60.

Sometime ago chem_geek posted an excel spreadsheet that does provide this, it is what I used. It is a pretty complex spreadsheet, but I like it. Not sure if he is still posting it anywhere, so I'm hesitant of posting it myself.

Maybe it is in the stickies, I don't know.

Thanks Joyce, I have been using the pool calculator and following the instructions found on the How to lower the TA sticky, its all very helpful, thats how I was able to clean my swamp in a very short time and for a lot less $$$. What I don't see is a way to calculate the total amount of MA needed to decrease the TA. I am lowering the TA and keeping a chart showing my results each time I add MA so I can always refer back to the chart in the future. I was just wondering if there is a way to predetermine it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.