Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test your fill water and rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Test your fill water and rain

Thanks to the BBB method and this forum I was able to quickly clean up my swamp water. For the past two weeks I have been trying to get my TA down to about 90 using the MA method but at the same time I was cleaning dead alga from the bottom of the pool by vacuuming to waste. I could not understand why my TA would at first go down then go back up. I read in an earlier post about high TA levels in the fill water so I checked mine and sure enough my fill water tested TA at 240. So needless to say when I refilled my pool each time after vacuuming I was also increasing my TA!

Since I am all out of MA and must go to the store and buy some more I thought I would ask if anyone knows how much I should buy to get my TA down to 90. Also, is 90 a good place to be, my pool is in the sun most of the day, I have a vinyl liner AGP, 23,000 Gal. Here are my current test results using the TF test kit:

FC 5
    PH 7.5
    TA 110
    CYA 60

Thanks for all your help.
    AGP, 21'x41'x52", Vinyl liner, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    I wouldn't worry about a TA of 110. I can only dream of TA that low.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I was under the impression that if the TA was lower it would help stabilize my PH. At this point when I bring my PH down to 7 it will increase to 7.5 or 7.6 in a matter of 1 1/2 days with out any additional aeration. Last year, I had to keep adding PH down, this year I wanted to avoid that. Have I understood this wrong? Is it normal to keep adjusting the PH every other day?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Good advice! We should all know the chemistry of our fill water, just as it's important to know your pump pressure when the filter is clean, i.e. right after a backwash.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

It will take ~14 cups of 31.45% acid.

Don't add it all at once, just enough to get your PH to 7.0, then after aerating add more to get you PH back down to 7.0.

Hope this helps,
    dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

6. Back To Top    #6

Thats great Dave, thank you. How did you figure that out? Is there a sticky or TA calculator out there that I missed? Is 90 a good place to stop?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Hi countrygirl,

The info you are looking for is in the "Stickies" section located at the top of each page in the sub-headings, also a link in my sig.

You can determine your chemical doses with Jason's Pool Calculator and there is a sticky on lowering your TA.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Last I looked, Jason's calculator will not tell you how much acid to add to lower TA, just PH. It is one thing that I find missing as my fill water TA is very high and I need to keep my TA around 60.

Sometime ago chem_geek posted an excel spreadsheet that does provide this, it is what I used. It is a pretty complex spreadsheet, but I like it. Not sure if he is still posting it anywhere, so I'm hesitant of posting it myself.

Maybe it is in the stickies, I don't know.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Joyce, I have been using the pool calculator and following the instructions found on the How to lower the TA sticky, its all very helpful, thats how I was able to clean my swamp in a very short time and for a lot less $$$. What I don't see is a way to calculate the total amount of MA needed to decrease the TA. I am lowering the TA and keeping a chart showing my results each time I add MA so I can always refer back to the chart in the future. I was just wondering if there is a way to predetermine it.