4 weeks of work and pool still green

May 26, 2013
Branch fell through my cover last winter. Opened up to a black pool. Shocked heavily with liquid shock and dredged up all the leaves I could. Have now shocked 4 times. I've changed the sand and multiport valve on my filter. Brushed the sides. Balanced the chemicals. I have a foam at the top of my water the pool store says was from not back washing the antifreeze out first. The water is light green and can't see more than a few feet down. Hasn't changed in 2 weeks. Pool store can't help and can't come out for ten days. Any help would be much appreciated. Thinking of draing my pool but from what I've read seems too dangerous. Beyond frustrated and have my wife's 30th Bday party at my house next weekend. Got water tested at Leslie's pool supply. Results are below. Tried to Attach picture. Hopefully it worked.

FAC -3
Ph- 7.2
TA - 100
TDS - 1100
CYA - 40
CH - 140
Phosphates - 500

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 274
Let me start by saying 2 things can cause green water, metals in the water (iron) and algae, usually metals will be a more translucent green. Having said that around here we strongly believe that successful efficient clearing of algae by the shock method requires a good drop based test kit (see my signature link) and often very frequent testing and dosing with Chlorine (usually bleach or liquid chlorine is best) sometimes hourly in the early stages until it is clear. With an event like yours it is possible you ended up with ammonia in the water through bacterial conversion which requires massive amounts of chlorine to sustain shock level long enough to burn off. All this is covered in the pool school link in the upper right I suggest as your next step you order one of the suggested kits (K-2006 or my preference the TF-100), read over pool school a couple of times, and follow the advice shown in these links:

www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae]Defeating Algae

www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-gr ... t4147.html]Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. You will need a lot more chlorine to burn off the foam and clear the algae.

You can get your pool cleared if you read the suggested links in Isaac-1's post and stay away from the pool store....they are impeding your progress.

Jonb127,

Please press the "Pool School" button (above at right) and read, read, read.
Under How To, you'll find: The Shock Process. Follow the directions carefully.
It can be a challenging and time-consuming process for the first day or two, but within a week you'll likely be in good shape.

Essentially, a swampy pool requires DAYS of continuously high chlorine levels to eradicate algae, and Pool Store shocking chemicals are designed to raise your chlorine level, but only briefly (minutes to hours) to kill off bacteria from a day of heavy pool use. They are not for the process of turning a mess into a masterpiece.
Everyone here has survived the swamp; you will too.

So, read and read again. And ask questions.

An amazing assistance is THE POOL CALCULATOR @ http://www.poolcalculator.com
It will tell you the required levels of chemicals to clean your pool, and to maintain it, based on your pool's size, type, and current chemical content. Like this forum, it's there for you.

Best wishes.
Alan
I'm just a few weeks new at this process and came through it great. You will too.

Jonb127 said:
This result is very likely why it is taking a long time to clear your pool up. With a CYA level of 40, you need to keep FC at around 16 ppm at all times during the Shock Process. This may mean that you have to test every other hour or so, especially during the day, to account for FC loss to sunlight as well as FC consumption by the organics.

I second what Bo is saying. The problem is you haven't been holding shock level on the FC consistently. Shocking is a process (the links have been posted for you). Letting the FC drop after adding one dose of chlorine to reach shock level doesn't accomplish much except wasting chlorine.

The foam is a normal by product of the shock/oxidation process and has nothing do to with the antifreeze. I'd be wary of letting whomever gave you that advice to come to your house to "help".

Get your FC up to 16 and HOLD IT THERE by testing and adding often, hourly if you can, and your water will clear. The harder you hit it, the more often you can test and add the faster it will clear.

The first step is always knowledge, you need to read Pool School so you understand what is wrong and how to fix, this way you aren't work like mad and spinning your wheels.
Also, you need a proper test kit so you can test on site as needed and add what is needed at that point, not rush down to the local pool store where their perscription may/may not be right.

Thanks for all the help. Before I posted last night I dumped flock (not sur on spelling) and this is what I got. Better but still can't see anything. 2 questions. Do I vacuum to waste if I can't see the bottom. There can't be too much large stuff left as I've leaf raked a lot to the point where little is coming up. Also I got 10 gallons of liquid choline left. Do I dump it in a gallon at a time or start with 5 and then add hourly? Can I just switch to bleach now after using pool store chlorine without issue. Sorry for all the questions. I'm desperate though.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 219
Also check out the pool calculator. Link in my sig... It would also help us, help you if you could add your pool specs to your signature and your location to your profile. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
.....Also I got 10 gallons of liquid choline left. Do I dump it in a gallon at a time or start with 5 and then add hourly? Can I just switch to bleach now after using pool store chlorine without issue. Sorry for all the questions. I'm desperate though.

Yes, you can switch to bleach after using pool store chlorine. No problem.

You want to add enough at one time to reach shock level based on your CYA. If we know your pool size/gallons and your CYA#, we can help/confirm your shock level.

You need to follow the Shock Process as outlined in Pool School. Post back if you have q's.

Added the #s to my signature. I'm in New Jersey. Thanks again for all the help. Poured in about 3 gallons of chlorine. CYA is at 40. Only have strips to test right now and chlorine is dark purple. I'll check again soon and add another two if it goes down.

Pool remains blueish, but still extremely cloudy. Can't see the bottom step of my ladder. I've been maintaining the Chlorine level at the shock number that goes with my CYA #. Running the filter 24/7. With a sand filter do I need to be more patient as it just turned from green to blue the last few days or should it have started clearing up. I read something about air coming out the jets causing it to be cloudy and I do get bubbles out of one of my jets every so often. I've checked my connections, but will check again. The foam has reduced a lot. It has always only appeared when I run the filter, but is about half of what it used to be so hopefully it's from algae reduction. I'm brushing twice a day and hoping. Any other advise to get this clear by Saturday would be much appreciated!!!!

With a sand filter do I need to be more patient as it just turned from green to blue the last few days or should it have started clearing up
Generally, just be patient. Backwash when required (25% psi increase), keep brusing like you are doing, vacuum when you can. Pump runs 24/7.

Probably most important is to keep your chlorine up. It may seem like you have killed everything but time and again, folks throw themselves a curve when they back off the chlorine too soon. Keep it up there and keep the faith!! :lol:

I would say if we had a way to confirm if your FC was holding overnight (FAS-DPD test) and if it were, I would say cut back on brushing, let it settle and vac to waste.
In the meantime it can't hurt to try a little DE in the sand filter. Instructions are in Pool School.

For the DE into the sand filter I don't have a pressure gauge. Am I good to just dump in a quarter cup into the skimmer and just judge by pressure at the jets? Thanks again for all the help and the quick responses. It is very much appreciated. I have a kit coming, but for now I will go to Leslie tonight at 7:30 and send my wife back in at 8:30 tomorrow moring and send out both sets of results.

No gauge? Ugh. They are inexpensive, found at home improvement and some pool stores.... can you pick one up?
I would take a 1/4 cup, make a slurry and pour half of it into the skimmer at a time. It may take a couple hit and misses for you to find the right amount. Too much and the flow will almost stop immediately.
I wouldn't bother running to the pool store. Save yourself the time, energy and gas!

I bought my house 2 years ago and there wasn't a gauge. It's not broken it just isn't there. If I buy a gauge where would I attach it? What's funny is I told the pool store guy I didn't have a gauge and he just told me they prefer that and to just judge by the jet pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.