Yellow jackets around my pool

Apr 16, 2013
Eatonton Georgia
After all the issues opening, my pool is now up and running great with the Intex SWG and a little BBB chemistry thrown in now and again. Water is balanced and chlorine maintains well. Kids have been swimming in it for about three weeks now but today is the first time I got in and noticed a bunch of yellow jackets flying around the pool. I imagine I must have a nest somewhere nearby. Anyone know how to find out where and what to do to take it out of commission? The pool seems to attract them, wonder why. Hope this is in the right place, didn't really know where else to put it.
Regards,
Michael

Finding the nest is the first step. Some Yellow Jackets build above-ground exposed nests while others build nests underground. I have had good luck spraying WD-40 around the covered area of the back yard patio, especially where the walls meet the ceiling. I'm going on Year 2 of applying this treatment as a deterrent and so far nothing has built a nest in this area.

If the species you are dealing with has built a nest in the ground, it may be more difficult to find and deal with. If you do find it, you can apply hornet/wasp killer.

Best time to find the nest is at dusk. Like chickens, they go home to roost. As the sun goes down, look for flying ones and follow them. The underground ones we had were usually just little holes an inch or two across. Spray bomb at night usually works but once we tried gasoline down the hole followed by a match. Probably not environmentally acceptable these days, but it worked.

They have really nasty stings and I believe these can sting multiple times.

We get them alot as well.
I get a couple of hanging traps and also try to watch where they hang out, see where they like to land and crawl around.

I got zapped by one a few years ago, pretty agressive little things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.