Floaties that pop up when ready for more tabs

Apr 16, 2013
I switched to floatie took my auto chlorination off my plumbing and have had no issues with chlorine..in fact it keeps a better reading...unless you run your pump 24/7 the auto chlorination is not a good choice..just my opinion after owning a pool for over 25 years...I bought these floatie a off the Internet. On a site where the guy sells thE onEs tat pop up wheN ready for more tabs...he also sell this awesome brush...

Re: auto chlorinator vrs floatie

Floating chlorinators are not a good choice for most folks trying to learn how to manage their own pool.

That it apparently works for wilbur14 is fine but it is not a great method for most people. I would suggest you not purchase it thinking it is going to solve some problems.....it may create more.

duraleigh said:
Floating chlorinators are not a good choice for most folks trying to learn how to manage their own pool.

That it apparently works for wilbur14 is fine but it is not a great method for most people. I would suggest you not purchase it thinking it is going to solve some problems.....it may create more.

I agree 100 %.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I agree if you want to get your chlorine level up fast pour in the chlorine...but take. It from me I have been managing mr own pool for 25 years and always looking for ways to make it easier and not so much of. A job, thenyou start hating your pool...the pop up floatie are a god send and as for managing..it takes the managing part out of the equation...it's a no brainer for this 60 yr old..I will. Get you the site and send it off to you..you can actually talk to the gentleman that invented it and his opinion

You can obviously do whatever you want to your own pool. However, you will not find many people here that will use solely use tablets for chlorination. There are too many parameters that jump around, and the sheer volume of CYA added to the pool with tablets will make it a non-starter for most of us.

Not sure what you mean but it sure has taken a huge burden off me...my pool builder says my pool is the cleanest most balanced pool in the state! My problems have decreased emencely since I added the floaties and took off the auto chlorinator.

wilbur14 said:
Not sure what you mean ...
Trichlor pucks do several things to your water. People add them thinking they are adding only chlorine. However, they are stabilized with cyanuric acid, which never dissipates from your water unless you backwash a lot or drain and refill the pool. The pucks are also acidic, which will drive pH down. To compensate for the lower pH, something will have to added to raise it, whether soda ash, borax, or one of the expensive pool store chemicals (which are identical in ingredients, but not in price). This constant up and down action of the pH will lower TA, so baking soda or another expensive pool chemical (again, identical in ingredients, but not in price) will have to be added to keep TA in range. All the while, the CYA builds and overstabilizes the chlorine, which is why so many people that have algae see it in the second half of the summer.

Again, if it works for you and your maintenance is easy, hats off to you. Most people are not so lucky, which is why we won't recommend chlorinating exclusively with pucks.

CYA build up is a common problem that effects most people, but perhaps your pool has a higher than average level of water replacement, perhaps you live in a location with much higher than average rainfall, have a sand filter that must be backwashed, again using up water, etc. Then there is always the question of costs, and what one calls balanced, clear water does not tell the whole story, there is also the question of kids with burning eyes, "that chlorine smell" , etc.

Ike

p.s. I used to use trichlor as my primary method of chlorination, but now use bleach (I still boost CYA with dichlor and trichlor occasionally, but only when test show it is needed) and since I switched to BBB, including regular testing I have received numerous compliments on my pool water no smelling, burning, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used a floating feeder with Trichlor pucks when I first got my outdoor 16,000 gallon pool 10 years ago. I did fine during the first season, but by the middle of my second season the water started to turn dull and then cloudy and I found I couldn't keep up with chlorine demand and had to use more pucks and even put them into the skimmer to dissolve more quickly (all bad things to do, but I didn't know it at the time).

I had a mostly opaque electric pool cover and the pool wasn't used every day so I had a very low 0.7 ppm FC per day, but I had an oversized cartridge filter that only needed cleaning once a year, I live in an area with no summer rains, and I used a pool cover pump during the winter to have winter rains put into the sewer. So I had virtually no water dilution.

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm. So for our 7 month season over 1-1/2 years (so say 10 months of swim seasons) and starting with 30 ppm CYA this comes to 30 + 10*30*0.7*0.61 = 158 ppm and in fact I did have 150 ppm CYA by the middle of my second season when I got what turned out to be algae growth. And this was in spite of using a combination algaecide that included Polyquat 60, though I only used it every other week instead of every week.

That's when I decided to learn more about pool water chemistry and found the forums that explained what was really going on and the chlorine / CYA relationship. Since then, I've used 12.5% chlorinating liquid plus a small amount of acid and even using the pool every day now and having 1 ppm FC per day chlorine usage, this costs me around $18 per month.

Oh and one more side effect of the floating feeder was that it tended to park itself near stainless steel bars in my pool and the acidity of the Trichlor rusted the nearest mounts for those bars.

Now of course one can get lucky and use Trichlor and not get problems because their pool has more water dilution or is luckily low in algae nutrients (phosphates and nitrates) or where an algaecide or phosphate remover is used, but one can use chlorine alone to prevent algae growth without the need for any additional products nor need any luck.

wilbur14 said:
I agree if you want to get your chlorine level up fast pour in the chlorine...but take. It from me I have been managing mr own pool for 25 years and always looking for ways to make it easier and not so much of. A job, thenyou start hating your pool...the pop up floatie are a god send and as for managing..it takes the managing part out of the equation...it's a no brainer for this 60 yr old..I will. Get you the site and send it off to you..you can actually talk to the gentleman that invented it and his opinion

Welcome to the forum Wilbur. We have a different approach here in which the managing part of the equation is what we teach and enjoy. Lot's of people come here frustrated and hating their pool. Some of us really like helping them and we turn them around on a daily basis. Hopefully you'll check out the forum and see what we do and why. Each to his own, but we have good reasons why we do it, and we save a lot of money doing it this way. Our primary reason though is only adding things to our pools that have the LEAST amount of side effects.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.