Hayward Pump tripping fuse

Jun 19, 2011
Southern NH
I hate to think I may have to replace my pump, but I have had it for 9 seasons, so it may be time. When I hooked up the pump this year for the first time, it would not turn on, I checked the fuse and it was tripped. I reset it, although it took a few times, but it did stay. The pump then proceeded to run with no problems for a day or so. I noticed the water had started collecting Crud along the top and realized that the pump had not been on for a few days. Again the fuse was tripped. I worked on it a bit more and I can get it to turn on but it will eventually trip within 5 minutes. I left it off now because after trying to reset the tripped fuser after 10-15 unsuccessful attempts, I realized that there must be a problem. Can anyone suggest anything to check? I have attached a photo of the label from the pump.

hayward1.JPG

hayward2.JPG

Thank you

JoeFixes

Good Morning,

As I was reading through posts this morning I came across this one:

how-do-i-know-my-hayward-super-2-pump-is-gone-t60628.html

which is a fellow also in NH and has a similar problem. He was able to locate an exploded start capacitor which fixed him. Can anyone give me some direction so I can check that on my pump? I wouldn't know where to look or what a regular start capacitor looks like vs. an exploded one.

Thanks

JoeFixes

Yes - that is a single pole 20 AMP GFCI breaker.

There should be a plate / cover at the end of the motor (opposite of the pump end) where said capacitor should be. If the capcaitor is ok check the centrifugal switch, and if that doesn't fix it - it's probably time to consider either a new moter (1 SFHP 120 V motor - pretty easy to find) or a complete new pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.