Surface vs Down Deep??

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We have been testing & treating our icky water on our own for about a week now, and out of sheer frustration of still not being able to see the bottom, we pulled water from the deep end (8') and tested that. BOY were the results different!! The pH was quite a bit higher (8.0 instead of 7.4), and the FC was a whole lot lower (approx 5 instead of shock level). Could this be the reason we can't get rid of the greenish brownish cloudy/gunk down there??

I'm pretty much at my wits end....

I've been brushing as much as I can.. likely not as often as "ideal", and I didn't even learn about brushing until a few days in... But admittedly, it's pretty darn hard to brush all the way to the bottom of the hopper.

How should the eyeballs be pointed... down, I assume???

No drain in the floor of the deep end? You have to experiment with the eyeballs. Try pointing them toward the deep end and see if that can stir that water up. It's trial and error to get maximum mixing with the eyeballs.

There are 2 main drains in the deep end. I think that's part of why I'm confused it hasn't stirred up much. *sigh* I knew this sucker would require work, but this past week has been a real doozie!!! Someone throw me a stinkin bone! LOL

If you have a deep end return eyeball fitting you might consider getting one of these:

http://www.infusionpool.com/

I bought one a couple of months ago because I don't have a deep end drain and cold water tends to settle there, well no more, this really does as advertised and shoots water much further down than a plain eyeball fitting.

Ike

Newer main drains are designed to distribute the water flow in such way as to minimize the water velocity going into the drain in order to prevent entrapment. As a result, newer main drains will not clear debris from a pool's floor more than a few inches from the main drain.

However, the main drain should still draw some water for circulation. Once the pool is a bit more cleaned up, you can try the syringe test. Fill a syringe with food coloring, dive down to the drain and squirt a little stream of it right near the drain. If it gets sucked in, then the drain is working properly. If not, then there may be a blockage or the valve for the main drain is closed.

So, in a nutshell, manually removing the debris is your best bet (but not necessarily fun).

Cathy9887 said:
Someone throw me a stinkin bone! LOL
At least you still have your sense of humor :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.