NOISY POOL MOTOR

waterbug

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Richmond, Va
Hi folks:
finally getting warm to get the pool open here in Virginia. Everything ready and bam NO pool motor.
After a while thought it might be the electrical receptacle and so unplugged and plugged the motor
in another outlet. Great - motor is up and running!
BUT it is at least twice as noisy as last year and it was already too loud. Pool is about
7 years old - is it telling me it's new motor time?

That is how my intex pump motor failed. Got 2-3x as loud as it normally was, stayed that way for a couple weeks, then it quit working. It would actually throw the breaker after it ran for a few seconds.

Just a thought, might make sure nothing is caught in the pump veins. Could just be an out-of-balance issue.

from personal experience, it is time for new bearings which can be replaced at home if mechanically inclined for less than 20 dollars and a few hours of your time...new motors range from $150 to $300 if you get a new pump assembly so i would think before diving into a new pump/motor assembly......if not, get a new assembly and plug and play for the most part...but basically, bad bearings are the causes of most pool motor noises

Had the same problem with my 1 1/2 HP Centurion pump 2 years ago when the pump was about 6 years old. It was making kind of a strange whirring sound that was fairly constant and even. Also it was very much louder then normal. After opening the pump cover (in my case done by removing the steel band around the diaphram ) I saw a small bolt lodged in the impeller blades. As it turned out the bolt was one of the attachment bolts for the impeller.
After replacing the bolt back to its intended location the pump worked fine, sounded fine and has not given me any trouble since.

Im not sure what sound your pump is making but I can say that the sound mine made had me thinking the pump was burned out also, it did not sound at all like a loose bolt. Overall the fix was simple and made me glad I checked inside before just getting another one

My pump kept melting the extension cord and ran very very hot and loud. Then one day I only got a humming noise. It totally seized up. I am not mechanically enclined and replaced whole thing. It's soooo quiet now. And moved water so much better.

Worst case scenario, you could get a whole new unit for only $149: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-1600-Krysta ... B004M6FSIW

I am very impressed with the 1600 sand filter that came with my new 18x52 Ultra Frame. They are all gray color now and seem to be very well built and upgraded. The eyeball return nozzle will shoot the water half way across the pool. It's got very good flow and is actually quieter than my old Intex cartridge filter.

Good luck!

Around here, they always have craigslist options for Intex, Hayward , Pentair and other brands. People are always getting rid of pools for a wide range of reasons. I bought a "nearly" new DiverDan (with Hayward leaf trap) for $50. Her pump was not able to handle the additional load of the hose and vacuum. She was going to throw it away.

May be riskier than new but some are really good values.

Just another option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.