Re: table of FC loss percentages

dwinn

Mar 23, 2013

Re: chem geek's table of FC loss percentages, posted 07/14/2012

My recently purchased house came with an 18,000 gal. pool and a CYA level off the chart. I drained 7,000 gal. and refilled, but CYA is still about 150, according to Leslie's. (Leslie's tells me that all other water chemistry #'s are OK.)

At 150 CYA, the Pool Calculator gives me a FC goal of 11-18.

Applying chem geek's 7.7% FC loss per day, I calculate that, if I start at FC 18, six days later my FC level will still be slightly above 11. Is this correct?

Yes, and no. Your calculation is correct. However you need to understand that the info in the table is just an average value across many pools. Every pool is going to be different and actual chlorine loss can be much higher or much lower than the nominal level. Chlorine loss varies with many factors, including water temperature, amount of sunlight, clouds/haze, time of year, shading by trees, number of people swimming, amount of wind borne debris entering the pool, and so on.

As you read further in the forum, you will find pool store testing is simply not to be trusted. I would never dose my pool based on a pool store test result.....CYA especially.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.