New Intex with 1 1/2 inches of water and leaking. HELP!!

Feb 27, 2013
Hi, Please, we need help! New 18 x 52 Intex Ultra fame pool. Carefully followed all posts on these boards about setting up pool. I have been reading these forums since Jan. We have put 1 1/2 inches of water in pool and have big leak. Nothing noticable to our eyes in the pool, but quite a bit of puddling on one side. Could this be a seam? Would we be able to see, a seam falure? We have stopped filling the pool.
Thanks, sorry to bother on a holiday weekend.

I had the same problem when I first set up the same pool. It was a small hole in the floor. Before I filled the pool this year, I had someone spray water in it while I lifted up the liner and crawled under it. Found the leak right away by the water drips and light shinning through the hole. You might want to drain yours down and try that. The patches that come with the pool work great.

This sounds like a job for hands n knees. Stop filling, get in n scour the bottom on all fours looking closely at the seams n bottom. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. Hubby got on all fours, and looked for about half an hour in the suspected area, and could not find any seam tear. We carefully placed our liner right in the middle of our circle and unfolded, so no dragging across the lawn. We have HD tarp, gorilla pad, pink insulation, and another HDTV tarp, then pool. I guess we need to do the flash light test now.

It may not be on a seam. I dread holes, especially when the pool is full because I end up having to swim the length of the pool bottom and scouring every square inch until it's found. It's a daunting task. At least your pool isn't full.

We won't be able to do anymore till next weekend now. We live near Chicago with temps in the 80s this week, and thunderstorms expected. Pool is empty now, should we cover it?
Thanks for the help!

We have the 16'x48" Intex Ultra Frame pool and had the exact same thing happen last summer when we first got it. I was so excited to get it set up, and we had not even an inch of water in it and had puddling on the outside. We searched and searched and searched and could not find where it was coming from so I suspected a seam. I called Intex, and since it was within 14 days of purchase they sent me a whole new liner without having to send any part of the existing one back (I think they usually have you cut out the drain plug or something to send back to them). Only problem was, it was going to take almost 4 weeks to get to us! It was already the middle of June, so I was determined to try to find the leak. I left about an inch of water in the pool and then took down the entire frame. I then slowly pulled back the bottom of the liner from the side where the water was puddling until I found where it was coming from....a 1 inch slit in the bottom of the liner. So I patched it up and let it set in the sun to get good and dry and dried off as much as I could before laying it back down to make sure it was holding but it was still getting wet. That's when I found the second 1 inch slit a few inches from the other one. Patched that one up, let everything dry, and no more leaking! We just set the pool up with the same liner yesterday and have it about 1/3 of the way full and all is dry. And now we have a spare liner, too! :party:

Well, late yesterday, I decided to get on my hands and knees( dh did that the first time, but couldn't find anything) well low and behold I found it after about 10 mins. It was about 1/4 inch long tear. It was patched and I am filling it up now. Hope there is no more. Thanks for everyone's help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.