General Help and Equipment Evaluation please

OMG, where do I even start.
I put up a post about vacuum to waste thinking that if I figured out how to do that all would be good.
After getting feedback, reading posts and reading instructions on chemicals I have come to the conclusion that I am a complete novice and have no clue what I am doing.
I really wish I found this site years ago.

For the past 5 years I dealt with algae, so I would shock and vacuum, and rinse / repeat over and over and over and over...
Now at least I know why, or I think I do. Over the same 5 years I used my 3 way tester CL/BR and PH of which I only looked at the CL/BR.
No wonder why I kept getting algae. (Feel free to laugh)

So this is the year I get smart... white flag is up!!! Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!!!!!

Just took the cover off, it's very green ... here are stats
CL 0 / FC 0 / pH 8.2 / Alk 220 / Cyan 30-50

Here is my current setup...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44998451@N06/

The link should show 6 pics. 2 current setup, 1 chemical readings, 1 pool, 1 new filter, 1 current pump specs.
As the pH and Alk are high, I added PH Down - about 6 lbs of the HTC brand from Walmart.

I bought a new filter Hayward Preflex DE 50AC thinking it may help keep the pool cleaner. Also because the cartridge filter is so hard to open / close - near impossible.
I haven't installed it yet, so I can always return it and get a different one.
My goal is to get the pool somewhat clean before switching over to the new DE filter. Doesn't have to be perfect, but figure since I am throwing away the cartridge filter just dirty it up.

Any feedback on what equipment I should be using would be great.
The pump is new (1 year old) it replaced a 2.5 HP pump that had a leak.
So I would like to keep the pump, but willing to do whatever is advised.
I also have a Nature 2 chlorine and clarifier(cartridge) feeder. It's not hooked up yet. I question speeding $70 on the cartridge since it never helped in the past, but now I see it's more of I didn't know what I was doing, so maybe this is worth using.

Should I be worried about my pump w/ new filter?
I didn't know I had a 2.0 HP pump, will it overwhelm the filter, should I return it for a different filter?
How long per day should I be running my pump?
Use Nature 2 feeder w/ cartridge or not worth it?

Thanks Tons
Phil Twin Lakes Wi

If algae is the primary issue, it isn't the equipment's fault, it's all about chemistry. If you keep the FC level high enough and long enough, it will eliminate the algae and only then can the equipment do it's job. So I would suggest getting a handle on your chemistry before making changes to your equipment. BTW, do you a model # for the pump?

There are a lot of good articles in Pool School that can help with the clean up.

Start with pool school. Your equipment is fine - follow the shock process until you pass the overnight drop test, stay away from the wally world chems and enjoy your trouble free pool.

Step one - follow the shock process.
Step two - FOLLLOW the shock process.
Step three - open a can of your favorite libation ... and follow the shock process.

Step 4 - have a pool party.

... and whats your CYA?

Most important piece of equipment you can get is a good test kit - most folks here use the tf 100.

The test strips you used are fairly close to worthless. You really need a good drops based kit of your own to learn to manage your pool water. I would not adjust my water on the assumption the strip readings had any accuracy at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.