2 Weeks open and still MILKY water

May 26, 2013
A little background. I live in a mature treed area in Southern Ontario, Canada. Every year, no matter how careful we are we always end up with debris at the bottom of our pool. So every year is blindly scooping leaves from the bottom of the pool. Once I have got most of what I can tell out of the bottom, I go through the opening procedure of topping up water level, hooking up pump and hoses and getting the filter/pump running.

So I add my salt, stabilizer and shock my pool with liquid chlorine and I am always able to get it to a blue but cloudy condition. While the chlorine level is high, I attempted to scoop more leaves to stir up any algae hiding on the bottom. Regular back washing to clear the filter.

So here I am today with milky water.

Temp 65
Salt 3800
stabilizer 40
Total Chlorine 3
Free Chlorine 3
PH 7.6
Calcium 140 (this has been topped up)

Sand was replaced 2 years ago

Pool Store says to try to FLOC it. Is there another course of action before I get to this?

I need help to get my wife off my back

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I think all you need to do is start the shock process and your pool will clear. You have a good grasp of the chemistry and your test results make good sense (tell us what you are testing with).

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and then follow that article precisely by bringing your FC up to around 16 ppm and then HOLDING IT THERE until your pool clears. That should do it.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: I think all you need to do is start the shock process and your pool will clear. You have a good grasp of the chemistry and your test results make good sense (tell us what you are testing with).

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and then follow that article precisely by bringing your FC up to around 16 ppm and then HOLDING IT THERE until your pool clears. That should do it.

I do not have a good test kit YET. I have been searching for one here in Canada but most of the places around don't carry them. I have been going to the pool place.

I like using liquid chlorine to shock. I have 40 Litres (21 Gallons) of chlorine right now. Any way of keeping track of my levels with a basic chlorine/PH kit while I shock it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.