CYA in HTH Super Select Shock Treatment

mj2

May 26, 2013
Real question(s) after the second set of dashes
-------

Hi, I'm not a new pool owner, but seem to have stumbled through the last 10 years without you guys with no insoluble problems. I think it was mostly luck.

I've been spending some time reading here and believe I now understand the relationship between CYA and chlorine somewhat, or at least the cause and effect on normal and shock chlorine levels due to the amount of CYA present.

The pool I have been maintaining will likely be filled in in 2 more seasons and I have a boatload of supplies so I'm not likely to convert to BBB now, though I likely would have at an earlier date.

-----

HTH Super Select Shock Treatment contains 56.44% Calcium Hypo and 43.56 other ingredients. I gather that some of those other ingredients are CYA. Does anyone have an estimate on how much CYA is in there? Could I possibly even determine this by dissolving some in water and testing the water?

TIA

To expand on Jason's answer, you will not find cal-hypo and CYA in the same product. They react violently when combined and will start a fire. In fact, you should never even use cal-hypo pucks in a floater that once contained trichlor pucks, and visa-versa.

If you use HtH pucks read the label carefully. This year they are marketing a cal-hypo puck and the packaging is very similar to the trichlor pucks they sell.

Most dry chlorine will either be cal-hypo or dichlor/trichlor. Dichlor/trichlor contains CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.