Drain it or fight it?

mepage

May 24, 2013
East Texas
I got a little lax (understatement) with my upkeep this winter and tried to maintain the status quo by using trichor tabs. Needless to say, my CYA is well over 100 and the pH dropped to below 5. I pulled the floater, added ~50lbs of sodium carbonate and got the pH in line (7.4) but of course the algae took over that night. I added 2 gals. of 6% bleach and got the FC up to 4. I am assuming this this will be a continuing battle to maintain as long as the CYA is this high. My question is do I fight that battle or would it be cheaper (and easier) to drain 60%-70% of the water ans start over? Water in my area is expensive but not as high as bleach =)

Welcome. :lol: Drain your pool in stages of 1/3's so you can get your CYA down to a manageable 50 ppm. Then you can shock the pool effectively and get rid of the algae. It will be a nightmare trying to get it clear and keep it clear with your CYA where it is now.

duraleigh said:
Welcome. :lol: Drain your pool in stages of 1/3's so you can get your CYA down to a manageable 50 ppm. Then you can shock the pool effectively and get rid of the algae. It will be a nightmare trying to get it clear and keep it clear with your CYA where it is now.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. That's what I assumed but needed to hear it from an expert. I should have done more research on the trichlor tabs, the CYA and pH issues never occurred to me. I'm going to go to the BBB method this summer, it looks like a much more manageable system.

Thank you so much for this forum, I've been lurking for the past few weeks and it's been a life saver.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.