Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I can start to see the bottom! Yellow stains ! :(

1. Back To Top    #1

I can start to see the bottom! Yellow stains ! :(

There are a lot of yellowish stains on the pool, it is a gunite pool and i wanted to know if there is a way to get rid of them. Thanks
    ~10,000 gallon gunite pool with spa that overflows
    1hp Hayward pump, filter
    replaced sand on may 24

2. Back To Top    #2
    Try a simple test. Get some vitamin C tablets, crush them and put them in a sock. Place the sock on one of the stains for two or three minutes and then remove it. Rub gently if you can manage it. If the stain goes away in that spot, or reduces noticably, then you can do an ascorbic acid treatment to remove the stains.

You can also try the same kind of thing with a trichlor tablet and see one minute of that makes any difference. Try the vitamin C first however.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    by vitamin c tablets do you mean like people vitamins? lol
    also the stains might be kinda of brownish in some spots so would that take care of that to?
    1hp Hayward pump, filter
    replaced sand on may 24

4. Back To Top    #4
    yes, people vitamins!!

As for the brownish stains, try them with the vitamin C also. If they come off with the sock test, then yes, it will work.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5
    ok, about how much do you think I will need? Thanks
    1hp Hayward pump, filter
    replaced sand on may 24

6. Back To Top    #6
    just a few tablets is sufficient for the sock test

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

7. Back To Top    #7
    i guess you could say that the test area was kinda of better, but honestly its kind of hard to tell. If in fact the test didnt work what would be the next step, if it did then how do you use the ascorbic acid and how much? Thanks
    1hp Hayward pump, filter
    replaced sand on may 24

8. Back To Top    #8
    There are two tests, vitamin C and trichlor tablet. If the vitamin C works, and it is very obvious when it is working, then you do an acorbic acid treatment. If the trichlor works then you shock the pool. If neither one works we will need to look into some more obscure possibilities.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School