air intake valves around spa

Apr 13, 2013
We have an attached spa that spills into the pool. The spa currently does not have a heater, but that is coming up next on the project.

My question today is....
There are seven PVC open ended pipes that pop up through the decking around the perimeter of the hot tub. They have always been there since we bought the house. They sometimes gurgle and then one of them seems to get the overflow of the hot tub as it continually spews water out when the pump is on with the spa return. It made the wood of the old deck eventually rot out because it was always covered in water.

We are now in the process of putting in new trex decking around the spa and we are wondering two things. 1) do we have to drill holes for these PVC pipes through the beautiful new deck or can we cut them off below deck level (I'm assuming they are air intakes for the spa) The deck is about 18 inches off the ground right there. 2) The one that is leaking water, can we cap it off, so that it does not either leak all over the new deck, or flood underneath the deck.

Thanks so much for your help. I feel like because of you, I now understand about 40% of my pool issues and that percentage is growing daily.

Thanks.
---Leslie

If you make them lower, they could leak out more water. They are the venturi air tubes and are connected to the jets. Normally, they have a valve on them which allows you to control the air going to the jet. If you cap them, you will no longer have air bubbles for that jet. I would get the proper fittings for them so you can close them off or open them up at will.

Thanks Mark. So there's no way to avoid 6-7 toe scrubbers on the new deck??? Sad. And I the creect cove a shut off for each one or a screw-in type cap?

I see you're in Pleasanton. My sister lived there for twenty years until her husbands job brought her kicking and screaming to Tucson. She still misses the drive thru dairy and Amadir HS. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.