Sand in the pool

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I always have sand build up in my two dead spots that my in floor doesn't hit. I brush the drain and it goes away, but always comes back after a few days. Should I be vacuuming out this sand? I assumed it would get picked up by my sand filter and I can backwash. Could there be a problem with my sand filter that leaves sand in the pool?

4e5esu8a.jpg

Modawg2k:

I would vacuum it out.

As for how it's getting in there, I would first rule out other environmental factors that might be depositing it. First off, determine if it is really sand or other dirt/debris. We have had a few days of rain here this week (some of it rather intense) and that has washed some dirt/dust/pollen out of the air and off the patio & roof and some of that makes its way into the pool. It usually deposits in the same areas.

If it truly is sand and your nearby soil is not sandy and you are not near a beach, then I would take a closer look at your sand filter. There might be a broken or cracked lateral that could be letting some sand through.

Hey guys, question on getting the debris out. I have an in-floor system so I don't own any kind of pool vacuuming equipment. What do you suggest for getting it out? I don't really want to spend a ton of money on some equipment to do this. I own a shop vac but I'm not sure if that's suitable for pool use.

Modawg2k said:
Hey guys, question on getting the debris out. I have an in-floor system so I don't own any kind of pool vacuuming equipment. What do you suggest for getting it out? I don't really want to spend a ton of money on some equipment to do this. I own a shop vac but I'm not sure if that's suitable for pool use.

For a one time use I think it would do it if you have a long enough hose. Have one person ready with the hose on the dirt in the water and one turning it on and off so water doesn't keep spewing out of it. Worth a shot just don't get it so close to the pool. Can you not brush it towards a place where it can get cleaned?

kyle11 said:
For a one time use I think it would do it if you have a long enough hose. Have one person ready with the hose on the dirt in the water and one turning it on and off so water doesn't keep spewing out of it. Worth a shot just don't get it so close to the pool. Can you not brush it towards a place where it can get cleaned?

I brush it to the drain all the time and it just keeps coming back after a few days. I would think the sand filter would pick that up but apparently not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually didn't get a sample because I was busy working on my water feature tonight. I ended up just brushing it all into the drain this time. My thinking now is that this is just all the Crud that comes from my water feature, which needs to be the focus on my pool right now. Basically animals make my water feature their playground. Here's is my thread on my water feature.

help-my-water-feature-is-slowly-trying-to-kill-my-pool-t60982.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.