Alkalinity problems

May 22, 2008
I have a 5000 gal 16' Intex ABP. I set it up 2 weeks ago. I have been following the advice here on how to lower alkalinity. We have not added any other chemicals except ph down. we have gone through a lot of ph down with the areation. How long should I keep this up before adding chlorine/sanitizer? I have a friend that opens pools for a living who says not to worry about the alkalinity but that goes against everything I have heard. He stressed the importance of getting clorine and algeside in the pool. I have read to not add anything until you get the ph/alkalinity down. After 2 weeks of dropping the ph to 7.0 and raising it to 8.0 with areation, reapeating over and over, we have the alkalinity down to 400.(it was 490) DOes this sound right?

You need chlorine in there. It has no effect on your alkalinity efforts, nor will your alkalinity efforts affect your chlorine. Sounds like you have my well water. TA is at least 480ppm. Swimming in the pool is a good way to aerate, so chlorinate then aerate by swimming. It can be very difficult to lower the TA that much in a season. I trucked my water (TA 280ppm) in, to keep from starting at 480, but I always have to push it down by collecting rainwater over the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.