How do I know my Hayward Super 2 pump is gone?

That sounds like either the bearings are seized or the start capacitor is bad both of which can be repaired if you are up to it. If you spin impeller and you feel some resistance, it is probably the bearings.

You nailed it! I just took the end cap off and saw an exploded start capacitor. I will replace the capacitor, do you know roughly how much they cost? Also, where do I spin the impeller blades to make sure it isnt the bearings? Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated. :-D

Capacitor should be less than $50.

You may be able to spin the impeller through the pump basket at the impeller inlet. If not, the impeller shaft should be accessible from the end cap side.

AO Smith and Century are the same company and they make motors, not pumps. But it is a good choice if you are planning to just replace the motor. Just make sure you match up the motor correctly. The service factor times the label HP of the new motor needs to be at least the same size as the old motor. You can usually find a cross reference on motor supply sites as well. You will need a new seal kit as well.

Thanks, Mark. Any pump motors that you suggest? Sta Rite, Pentair, Hayward? I was thinking of just going with what I have which is a Hayward Super 2 , 2hp.

Also, would alot of rain and moisture cause a start capacitor to explode. Ever since I replaced it earlier this afternoon, it has been running fine.

Tom

You can just replace the motor as I mentioned before instead of replacing the entire pump. But is there a reason you have such a large pump? Spa, waterfall, other features?

If not, then you might consider downsizing. Also, if you fill out your signature, it can help when asking questions. Location is useful too sometimes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.