shock a pool start-up-when open it is clear and fc 2?

Jul 26, 2012
Hello All Again!

We opened our pool with our well. We do have a filter system on our water, does add salt though to it. Anyway, to our wonderful surprise, except for a dozen leaves or so, our water looked like the day we closed it. It had a FC level of around 2. Have kept it at 1-3, need to put bleach in, today at FC1 Thanks fellow BBBers!

Does everyone shock, just in case for bacteria or algae when they open? I have maintained the FC since we opened. Pump has been running 24/7 for the last few days, and we have been vacuuming and keeping leaves and stuff out. Wondering if we should take it to 10ppm anyhow?

Currently FC1 and PH7.8

VegMaPa said:
Does everyone shock, just in case for bacteria or algae when they open?
I don't.

VegMaPa said:
Wondering if we should take it to 10ppm anyhow?
If you are concerned, you could take it up to your FC shock level and do the OCLT, but if you water looks good and if you do not have CC or excessive chlorine usage, then I personally wouldn't. It won't hurt anything though.

VegMaPa:

Congrats on a clean pool opening :goodjob:

I'm with linen in that I wouldn't shock unless my test results dictated the need. I would, however, run a full series of test results and do an OCLT just to be on the safe side. You will need to know your CYA in order to properly dose with chlorine whether you decide to shock or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.