need confirmation of next steps :)

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
inground gunite pool.. this is my 3rd year opening and of course, it's a smelly green swamp

my test results
FC 0
pH > 8.2
TA 80
CH 190
CYA close to 0

next steps:
- bring pH down to 7.8 with muriatic acid
- add bleach to bring FC to 10
- bring CH up - what should by goal be again for a gunite pool?
- add CYA to bring to 40
- remove leaves and scrub

sound about right?

Thank so much

Close.....

-bring CYA up to 30
-bring PH down to 7.2/7.5 (will be effected by adding CYA)
-shock to FC of 15
-raise CH to around 250

You can raise your CH anywhere on the process, just don't add right with any other chemicals. The others I'd do in that order. If you shock with a 0CYA level all your FC will be eaten by the sun almost right away. Raising the level up some will help keep the chlorine in the pool fighting the algae.

thanks leebo -
it's a cold gloomy cloudy weekend here in massachusetts, so i was hoping lack of CYA would be OK until tomorrow.
i've added bleach and some left over dry acid from last summer.. so i'll test in a few to see what the levels are at.

thanks for the feedback.

hate opening to a swamp - but love troublefree pool folks!

You'll just lose some extra FC to the sun, however if its hidden by clouds you may not be in bad shape. Shock at night as often as you can, as then the only thing consuming the chlorine is the green crud.

Leebo said:
You'll just lose some extra FC to the sun, however if its hidden by clouds you may not be in bad shape. Shock at night as often as you can, as then the only thing consuming the chlorine is the green crud.

will do, thanks leebo... opening a pool in the rain is no fun.. but at least there's no sun to eat my chlorine and no mosquitos eating me :)

btw, i also posted an issue about my de filter - i see you have a DE filter too.. if you have a chance, maybe you can chime in too? :)
low-filter-pressure-for-de4800-filter-t60624.html

thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.