Intex Sand Filter Pump problem

Jun 25, 2012
Just starting up my pool. The suction is eratic on my Intex Sand Filter/Pump. Its as if the suction can't keep up with the discharge and the clear lid on the pre-filter is popping up and down (is it made to do that?). I've disconntected the suction to make sure it was clear and also backwashed to make sure there was not air in it. Also changed out the valve on the discharge side. Discharge is constantly surging...Any ideas?? I didn't have this problem last year...

I had a similar issue after vacuuming some debris. Pump seemed to pull water in then lose suction for a moment then cycle through again. Turns out I had a clog in the skimmer to pump line. It made my filter expand and contract like a beating heart.

I cleared some acorns and one or two leaves out of my impeller which caused a strong enough pull to get the clog in the pipes to pull it clear. This might be a good place to start.

I ran water backwards thru the impeller; felt inside for any debris--nothing. This is the first time we have turned this pump on. Right now, I have closed the discharge valve halfway (or more) in order to have regular/even suction.... I have checked all lines; taken everything apart.... don't know what to do next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.