300 New Posts a Day - How do you keep up? (Mods?)

TomU

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2007
Wyoming, Michigan
With approximately 300 new posts a day to this forum, how do you keep up with them? How do you moderators do it? To properly address the plethora of questions each day could constitute a part time job! Right now I'm logging in and using the "posts since last visit" feature, but I never know how far down I need to scroll to get to the entries I haven't read on any particular topic (or even which page of a topic to start on). Is there another way? Would an RSS feed just send the new entry on each thread out? I was gone over memorial day and when I got back I had 1400 new posts. :shock: That's a lot of reading! I almost wish I could get a digest feed of specific subject topics - maybe everything in the "Deep End" for example. What about the ability to get a list of new posts in a specific topic since last login instead of the whole site? Any suggestions?

can we say "eye strain"?? :shock:

as far as how to determine what entries are new, I also click "posts since last visit" from the home page. However, if you click on the last column, it takes you to the last post. Then I go up from there. It still takes a bit of time to find where I left off....

Maybe this issue will be addressed in the BUU...

TomU...I have asked myself that same question and all I can say is thanks to all the people here at TFP administrators, mods and all the people that have given the answers to help others with the respect that they deserve. Keep up the great work everybody I still enjoy every minute I read at TFP.
thanks to all
Ric W. :-D

Yesterday was a particularly busy day, I thought. Because I had given myself the day off - easy to to when you're your own boss! - I spent a lot of time on the forum and have gained a huge appreciation and respect for the mods and regulars who seem to always share their knowledge. You folks work very hard!

I used to read 'new posts since last visit' and still do but I've also begun to scan 'unanswered posts' and try to jump in when I might have something worthwhile to say. On a busy forum like this one it's easy for a post to get lost or overlooked, especially if the subject line is vague.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TomU said:
but I never know how far down I need to scroll to get to the entries I haven't read on any particular topic (or even which page of a topic to start on). Is there another way?

When you click on 'view new posts' and the 300+ list comes up, you can click on the little white square in the 'Topics' to view the newest post to that particular thread. Here is the process i use when reading forums (I'm a Mod at TY4Stroke.com)

1: view new posts since last visit
2: scroll through list looking for topics of interest.
3: Right click on the corresponding white square and select 'open in new tab' or 'open in new window' if I'm on a computer with an older version of IE.
4: I can open upwards of 20 tabs before I actually start reading, and close the tab as I'm done.

This method has a couple positives, the biggest being a reduced server load from searching(using the back button). Your search result page is always there in the first tab or window. You maximize your read time instead of using the back button and trying to remember where on the list you left off at.

Hope this helps some of you.

Sean, with the pending upgrades is there any chance of a better in forum search engine? I have spent hours searching for items that I know are here but are just buried under 100's of search returns. I get a better search return with Google but I wonder if a nice search engine might aid in slight reduction of posts by allowing users to search first. Also, what about adding more to the "stickies" on the common questions? I think that is underway but I can be mistaken.

As always, thanks for the forum!!!

I love these questions! Among the improvements to the software is improved search capabilities. Among the extra upgrades we are also integrating a google site search into the site. And yes, the stickies page is being almost totally redone. The new articles page will be called "Pool School." It will include many of the same topics "stickies", in an even easier to follow format and in a much more logical order as well as new articles that will useful to most any pool owner.

Sabot said:
Sean, with the pending upgrades is there any chance of a better in forum search engine? I have spent hours searching for items that I know are here but are just buried under 100's of search returns. I get a better search return with Google but I wonder if a nice search engine might aid in slight reduction of posts by allowing users to search first. Also, what about adding more to the "stickies" on the common questions? I think that is underway but I can be mistaken.

As always, thanks for the forum!!!

Here is a problem I have when searching. If I'm looking for info on the easy touch automation system if someone has it as a list in their criteria for their pool it comes up in my search so I could get 1000 searches but no info eeekk. Will the new search engine help with that or is there something different I should do when searching?

Aside from the addition of the google search, the new software will include:

Search inside topics
Select multiple forums and categories to search
Search within topic titles only
Search within first post of a topic only

This should make it much easier for you to find what you are looking for.

Please understand that there is bound to be a learning curve for all of us, but once we become accustomed to the new software, the benefits should outweigh the initial learning curve.

HELP!!!! :eek: I'm drowning in posts!!!!!!!!

My parents are here for a visit, so I'm otherwise occupied for a couple of days, and 733 posts since last visit :shock:

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up guys!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.