Retractable Awnings

ROTJob

Jun 2, 2011
We have decided to look into getting a retractable awning for our lower deck area this year and have just started the process of looking into them. I decided this would be a good place to start looking for information since you have all been so helpful in the past. We are looking at a 16'x10' motorized awning. What should we look for in terms of quality? Are there any specifics questions we should be asking or things we should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

I almost went this route last year. I was looking at Sunsetter (they get good reviews and I know a family member that bought one and loves it). Motorized retract, etc. If you are a Costco member you can order through them for special pricing, and once a quarter or so their coupon book includes some form of Sunsetter coupon.

Quick advice: get a long piece of wood (or even a skimmer pole) and stick it straight off your house where you expect the awning to be installed. See where the shadow ends up at certain times of day. This will help you determine where the awning will actually provide cover from the sun. The reason I didnt buy ANY awning was because at the peak time of the day where were going to install it, the angle of the sun would have basically made half of the awning useless....just the right angle so that the sun got under the far edge of it starting at about 2PM and going until the sun was completely set. Naturally, thats about the time most people are out enjoying the pool! But that tip (originally from my Dad) saved me about $2K

Sunsetter also makes a stand alone retractable awning (motorized or manual) in 10'x12' and 10'x16' sizes. Supposed to be okay in winds 30 mph to 50 mph but I would never leave it open when I wasn't using it for shade. I also would make some provision to make it a bit more stable by attaching something heavy like a storage box to at least one of the legs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.