Jandy / Zodiac e-Pump w/ JEP standalone controller blinking

Jul 17, 2009
Hi All,
I have a Jandy e-Pump 1.5HP and standalone controller JEP.
I was out of town for a week, and returned to see Fault error Low Voltage on the display.... I reset the breaker and now, i see that the JEP controller LCD display is showing regular stuff except after like 10 seconds, it gave a new error. The error is "Fault - Pump not connected"
The other thing that happens is that the Jandy logo and the Stop icon and Timer icon are all sort of flashing/flickering/blinking in a way that kinds of lets me think it does not get enough voltage....or gets unregulated voltage. Which links to the first error code that i saw when i got home (fault error Low Voltage)
(Attached Video clip)
I found on the web some docs about other Jandy RS485 controllers like RS so i'm pretty sure that the Red is the +supply which is around 8V DC, the green wire is GND. the middle black and yellow wires are the RS485Hi and Lo.
So i took apart the small access panel on the e-Pump and measured the voltage to be 8V DC between the red and green wires... Some of the manuals stated 7V other 8V.
I took a 9V battery and connected it instead of the Red and Green wires from the pump. That is i powered the controller directly from the battery while keeping the RS485 wires still connected.
Now, the controller LEDs no longer flicker but light solid, and new error pops after some time saying Fault COMMS error.
I think that this step highly suggests that the problem is not at the controller but at the pump...
I took the cover from the control unit that is installed on top of the motor. All the parts are sealed with some sort of think compound, i guess for water/moisture proofing. There are 4 large capacitors that two of them have a very noticeable bump. Also, two of them were tilted at an angle and I could clearly see that they were "torn" from the sealing layer. (Attached picture.)
This makes me think that that unit was overheated or something and those caps were about to blow up. And obviously some damage also happened to the communication part of the board.

If this make sense or if any of you had similar issue or seen the inside of the motor control unit, please help me figure it out.

Thank you so much!
Laker4ever.

Attachments

• 20130525_164259.jpg
    20130525_164259.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20130525_164241.jpg
    20130525_164241.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 21
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.