Lowering TA

May 13, 2013
Hey, thanks to you guys I turned a swamp into a clear pool. Now I'm working on getting my TA down.
Ph has been rising.
Anyway, I first tested and got a reading of 190 for TA with a ph of 7.4.
So I built my own aerator, it's pretty solid ill post a pic. I added what pool calc said to to bring it down to 7.0...

After reading how to lower TA in pool school I tested my ph again and after only a few hours with the aerator on it had risen to 8.0. I remember readings in pool school and other posts that it could take a while to raise ph back up by aerating. I only have one return. Does that sound right that the ph came up so quick? The TA did not come down any either. Not swimming today either. I added more dry acid and ran out, so I plan on getting some muriatic from the store.

Should I take the aerator off when I'm adding the acid to bring down ph. Or is it ok to just leave it on and add acid even with it going to get the ph back down to 7.0? And repeat the process....is that ok?

Here's the pictures of the aerator. It's pretty solid. Filter gauge is showing 25 psi with that on, normal operating without it is 18. So it's got some steam behind it. Dunno if that would cause the ph to rise from 7.0 to 8.0 so rapidly, as in a matter of hours. Let me know what you guys think....

Attachments

• SAM_0219.JPG
    SAM_0219.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 61
  • SAM_0220.JPG
    SAM_0220.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 61
Well, I would have to call that an aerator!! Very nice work.

Drop your pH right back down with acid and keep the aerator running. It is obviously very effective.

I'm a bit surprised TA hasn't moved downward yet but it will.

In short, get the muriatic and keep doing what you are doing....the change will occur.

Yep, it's working now. I took yesterday off from the routine, but my alkalinity is down to 140. I just put some acid in and The aerator back on. I'm thinking maybe one or two more cycles hopefully.

Pool still looks great, crappy weather though.

Happy Memorial Day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.