"season open" vs algae bloom

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
What is the difference between taking the cover off & shocking to clear as opposed to having a balanced pool, then getting an algae outbreak?? It would seem clearing an algae bloom is a much longer process than a fresh season opening.

Am I missing something?? :scratch:

Thx!

There are several variables that affect how easy it is to clean up algae. One big one is water temperature. Algae grows much more slowly in cold water, so it is simpler to kill in the early spring when you are first opening. Another factor is how quickly you catch the problem before it turns into a full algae bloom. When you are just opening the algae will not have been getting much light, and so is rarely very advanced. Meanwhile, in mid-season this varies a great deal depending on how much attention you are paying to the pool. The earlier you start treating algae, the easier it is to kill.

Yes, I think it does help me understand a bit. My question stems from a slight jealousy of our neighbor's pool. We opened ours a few weeks ago, had a balanced pool, then apparently had an algae outbreak Monday night. We've been working to get it cleared up ever since.. including testing with an almost good test kit. We are about 75% cleaned up. Our neighbors took their cover off Wednesday night & will be swimming tomorrow... and they don't even test their water. They just shock the heck out of it.

Yes.. I'm a bit bitter. LOL

Well, sorta. The FAS-DPD part is coming in the mail.. probably Tues/Wed. But the results I got this AM are as follows:
FC: 25+ (diluted method.. the pink matches the 5, so I multiply by 5.. but it could be 30.. could be 50. :-( )
pH: 7.5
TA: couldn't get this test to work.. my 'green' was more teal.. and my 'red' was yellow. But it turned yellow at 90.
CYA: 55

Smykowski said:
The neighbors will have algae come labor day while you swim into the fall.
Cathy9887, don't be bitter. :wink: The scenario that Smykowski mentions played out in our neighborhood two years ago. That August, virtually everyone that has a pool in my neighborhood had a "red algae" outbreak. What is referred to as "red algae" is actually a bacterium, but it is caused by the same thing that causes a true algae bloom...letting FC get too low for your pool's CYA. Fortunately for me, I had discovered this forum and Pool School at that time.

Your neighbors may be swimming now, but if they use the traditional trichlor pucks and dichlor "shock" all summer long, they are setting themselves up for potential issues down the road. You, OTOH, will be following the methods that we teach and your pool will clear up and be much easier to maintain going forward, regardless of what anyone else is doing. Won't be long before they are asking you how you keep your pool so sparkling!

Good to have that confirmed.. I kinda thought (hoped) that, so I went ahead & made note of the number. :)

At this point, should I even worry about or check the TC and/or the CC??

Thanks, Bo!! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.