Filter sprays like a geyser when set to filter

May 25, 2013
Nashville
Hello, all! Long-time reader, first post. I've attached a pic of my problem.

I opened the pool last week and stupidly walked away after starting the pump. When I came back about 14 hours later, I was met by the sight of water jetting out from between the multi-port valve and the filter body.

All works fine on waste/rinse/backwash/circulate. But when set to filter, it immediately acts like a very expensive sprinkler system!

Any ides/tips/dire warnings before I start taking things apart and randomly looking for clues?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Joe

[attachment=0:3mefz1cx]photo.JPG[/attachment:3mefz1cx]

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 30
Have you pulled the top of the filter off lately? You may have pinched a gasket or o-ring. Pull the multi-port valve off and check the condition of the spider gasket, any o-rings or gaskets between the multiport and filter body and inspect the rim of the filter body as well. Check the rim for cracks. Make sure and gaskets and o-rings are seated correctly, are not worn, and that the screws tighten firmly.

I took it apart and the gaskets and o-ring looked fine, so I stuck a hose in the sand and rinsed it all out and then stirred it with a stick. Put it all back together, crossed my fingers and set it to filter.....and it worked. Ha! I win this round, Mr. Pool.

Thanks for the input, TFPers.

Joe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.