My test kit is here!!! :D:D:D

May 22, 2008
Florida
Now can someone get on a messenger and walk me thru this one time!? I wanna see how different my results are from the pool stores this morning. I cant wait to get my first decent set of results!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for such a stellar product!

Alli~

Ok I tried it out.. A BIG THANKS TO JUSTIN!!

These are my results;
FC 25 ppm
CC 1 ppm
TA 90 ppm
pH to me looked like 6.8
CYA 90 ppm

The results from the pool store this morning before I got the test kit are as follows;

FC 5.0
pH 7.2
TA 125 ppm
CH 125 ppm (I didnt test for this as it says its not important in a vinyl lines pool)
Total disolved solids today 500.

They didnt test for cya today...

Either way, I am going to add in the filter and start checking it and spraying it off every couple hours to try to get some of the funk out of the pool. and then? pH?

pH-up is in the pool, and so is the filter finally.. although the water is still quite cloudy.. Can there still be algae in there with the chlorine so high? Is the cloudyness from all the gunk floating around the filter wasnt getting out? I am so close.. yet so far! I wanna swim! lol

Alli~

How long after adding the pH up do I have to wait to retest and see if I am in the right range, and if not, how long do I wait til I add more pH up? (isnt that what the borax is for? -Could I use that instead? Do I use the same measurements?)

Alli~

I would wait at least an hour with the pump running after adding before testing the water.

Borax, PH Up/Increaser, and soda ash will all raise the PH. Borax raises TA less than the other two. You need about twice as much borax as you need of the other two.

When the PH test shows 6.8 the actual PH can sometimes be much lower. You do need to take some care, but you don't need to worry too much. You are only trying to raise the PH to 7.2, if you go too far the PH will still be fine up to 7.8.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmmm results this morning are a little different... Which gives me a few questions.

FC is still at 25
CC is at .5
TA has gone up to 120?!?!? (from 90 yesterday)
CYA seems to still be at 90

So, maybe I am having such a hard time adjusting the pH because of the TA? can I adjust that first, then the pH? What can I use to adjust the TA? (I like the whole BBB thing) I have decided to get rid of some of my other pool chemicals clogging up the house in favor of the BBB.

I will check back later for more fantasmic advice! thanks guys (and gals!)

Alli~

Looks like you're getting things under control, your water should be looking better. I would get your PH right (the last I saw you post was 6.8) by adding some borax and not worry about TA now. Your other concern should be your high CYA. Since your water is very economical, I'd drain a foot down and refill with fresh water to lower your CYA, your FC will be much more effective at a CYA of 40-50. You should test your refill water also so you know how it will effect your PH & TA levels. You're doing great! Is the party still on schedule?

As poolhound said, there is no need to worry about TA right now.

When you raise the PH the TA will also go up a little (except with aeration), and likewise when you lower PH you are also lowering TA a little.

No, sadly, the pool party was canceled as the pool still isnt ready.
I cant get the pH to budge (that or it was amazingly low) and the pool is a yucky milky color still. I am a mad woman out there every couple hours rinsing out the filter but really there isnt much gunk to speak of The filter does get a funny beige color to it that I can easily spray off with the high stream on the hose sprayer though.
I am going to go get some borax this morning and toss in a ton of that and then stir stir stir... hopefully we can get this water clear enough for at the least my own kids to swim...

Alli~

If it is easy to get some aeration of the water going, that will also help raise the PH. You can aerate with a fountain, waterfall, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, spa jets, air compressor, rain, etc.

Im feeling frustrated today...

FC - 4 ppm
CC - 1
TA - 150 (SKYROCKETED!)
pH - 8.2 (I added ONE box of borax)

The water is still a milky color and there isnt a whole lot coming out of the filter. I am feeling more and more like I am going to just drain it as I am feeling the need to level out the back of the yard anyway.

Does anyone know what they do with all the dirt they haul off when digging out a pool?? If I called a pool builder would they be willing to give me some dirt they would normally have to dump elsewhere?? I am thinking a whole dump truck would lvl the backyard quite nicely.. And one of those big monster tamper machines to make it all pack down tight. Aye aye aye... Im still looking for someone in the area that wants to come help! HAHA *wink*

Alli~

Alli,
This whole method depends on you calculating and dosing your chemistry accurately. An entire box of Borax is w-a-a-y too much.

You'll have to decide the path that works best for you but if you choose to clear your pool using the methods on the forum, you'll have to measure and calculate more carefully.

Well then something isnt right as the pool calc said to use a box and a half to get what I needed. I started with a bit less and then thought I could go from there since I was having such a hard time getting it to move before.

I dunno if I am cut out for this.. :?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.