Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Why does Leslie's say that their muriatic acid is "Not recommended for fiberglass, vinyl-liner, painted, or acrylic pools."?

I haven't seen anything like that on here anywhere. And is their muriatic different than the stuff you buy at HD or Lowe's?

Re: muriatic "not recommended for fiberglass, vinyl-liner...

Muriatic acid in its typical concentration could cause problems with a vinyl liner IF not applied correctly. Whereas you could typically just pour it into a concrete (gunite) pool directly, you wouldn't want to apply it that way if your pool is constructed with some form of plastic material. When I apply liquid acid to my vinyl pool, I dilute it in a five gallon bucket at a ratio of 40:1 (water to acid) and slowly pour the mixture over the return jet at the deep end of the pool. Years ago when I knew little in the way of pool maintenance, it didn't take long to ruin the vinyl liner with the improper application of acids to the pool. Perhaps there are other reasons Leslie's has posted the warning, but from my experience, this would seem to be the most logical.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Pouring full strength muriatic acid directly onto any kind of pool surface will damage the surface, while adding it as we recommend (pour slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running) is fine with any kind of surface. It really doesn't matter what kind of pool you have.

Applied in front of a return, pump running, it is perfectly safe to apply muriatic directly from the container. That is the method suggested by this forum and it is applicable to ANY pool.

Here's the link: http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Pool-Adjusters/14013.html

I know I had previously received that advice here (pour in front of jet while pump running) for CYA, wasn't completely sure if that applied for muriatic as well. I kinda figured it was Leslie's avoiding liability for people who aren't careful but wanted to check.

I may or may not dilute it for my own purposes, so it's good to now what my options are. Need to lower TA from 110 down to the recommended target range (60-80) and the pH just a shade as well.

It is important to remember the slow part here, also that muriatic acid is MUCH heavier than water and will sink to the bottom of the pool if not well mixed by the return.

I poured in one gallon veeerrryyy slowly over the jet with the pump running at a high setting. What I noticed is that, even after shaking up the bottle (a few times), little flakes ended up floating around. I could see quite a few that ended up on the floor and even a little "pile" of them in one spot. As soon as I finished, I took my skimmer and stuck it in the water and mixed up that area and then I threw the dolphin in to further stir up the water.

Hopefully that was enough to avoid any future issues, but figured I'd post it here in case anyone else experienced this and didn't notice it.

In general, when adding a concentrated chemical that is heavier than water such as Muriatic Acid, chlorinating liquid or bleach, I would add it slowly over a return flow (preferably in the deep end if it has a floor drain) and after you are done, then lightly brush the side and bottom in the area where you added the chemical. That will ensure thorough mixing and prevent any pooling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I poured in one gallon veeerrryyy slowly over the jet with the pump running at a high setting. What I noticed is that, even after shaking up the bottle (a few times), little flakes ended up floating around.
What did you pour in?? I have never seen muriatic acid produce flakes nor should you EVER have any reason to shake the bottle!!

Oops! I was talking about the conditioner! Sorry! Haven't added any muriatic yet. Whew! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.