Vinyl Liner Install

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
I am in the process of getting my liner replaced and the contractors proposal indicated that he would be filling the pool partially with a water truck. I believe he said that it would be roughly half of my pool (17,000 gallons). Do water trucks hold this much water? How much do water trucks cost?

The reason I ask is because he never supplied the water truck and I have been using my hose to fill up the pool. He keeps telling me that the water truck is coming for the last three days but the pool is practically full at this point. So at this point I'd like to offset the remaining balance with that cost, but not sure how much I should negotiate. One of the reasons I picked him is because he said that it would include the water truck.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It would be hard to guesstimate how much a water truck would be because you have not included your location in your profile nor in the subject matter.

With that said, if he has this water truck load tucked into the price of the liner install, I would definately try and figure out how much a truck load of water would cost by googling water truck companies in your area to find out.

What he said, and good luck, I also wanted to suggest placing your location in your profile as this is exactly the sort of question where it helps to know your location. As to capacity it depends on the size of the water truck, and is in the capacity range for larger one piece trucks it is in the 5,000 gallon range.

The place I had my water delivered in MA (where everything is expensive) held 8000 glaaons per truckload and I had 3 delivered at about $350 per truck load. Others in my area do it for $250 and up but the cheaper places around me pump from a local pond that has significant metals in it so most people end up getting orange water once they add chemicals. The water I had delivered came fully treated and didn;t require much on my end to balance.

And I NEEDED water deleievred according to my pool builder for the liner install. I was told about halfway would have been fine but I decided to do the whole thing. Two guys were in the pool installing it as the water was rising to get out wrinkles. I would guess a hose would take way too long for the way my PB did my liner.

Thanks again for the information. I will definitely use to negotiate.

I do have more questions though after coming back from vacation (he finished up while I was gone), and these are a bit more concerning than the water truck. I have steps built into my rectangular pool and instead of the vinyl liner sitting perfectly on each step in the corners (at the 90 degree angle where the step meets the side wall), it is stretched. I am afraid that if someone steps on the stretched vinyl it will rip. Is this normal or was this an error on his part?

Also, ever since the pool started getting filled with water Ive had a slow leak entering my sump basin. Its rained quite a bit recently (while I was on vacation) but this also occurred when it was dry out and before I left. I'm extremely concerned that the vinyl liner was not installed correctly or already has a rip and have no idea what to do. Looking at the bottom of the pool I noticed that the seams were very noticeable. I am not sure how to post pictures but will try to get some up. Any advice on what do to do with this one? lol

I certainly do not want to pay him the balance before I know that these are not real issues. I am afraid after dropping $5k on this I'm going to have to do it again next year. Any advice you all could provide would be great. Its awesome knowing that an entire community has your back!

The liner around the steps will likely stretch into place with time, that is if it only has an inch or so to go.

Talk to him about the potential leak, you can do a bucket test to see if the pool is leaking, and address it then, it may just need a tiny bandaid sized patch somewhere.

That's good news regarding the steps, I think they only need an inch. However, I'm not sure how to handle the leak, should I withhold paying the balance until figuring this out? I feel as if once I make payment he may not care to fix any of the issues

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately no advice on the liner issues. Our water trucks in MD are limited to 6000 gallons due to road weight restrictions and ours were $250 each but often cost $285.

Thanks again for all of your input. He is coming by on Thursday to take a look. What are some tests that can be performed to check whether the liner has a hole/tear in it?

The water started leaking into my sump basin before we the pool equipment was up and running. Is there anything other than a tear/hole in the liner that could cause water to leak into my sump basin when the equipment is not up and running?

One other question, could a crack/hole in my main drain pipe cause this issue? If my main drain pipe had a crack or hole in it would my pool equipment still function?

In the last three days Ive noticed a fair decrease in the water line while the pool was operating. However, I had the water leaking into my sump basin since I started filling it up when the equipment was not set up.

Can I have a plumbing leak without the pool operating?

Wow, thats crazy expensive. Do you guys all have your own wells? My city water runs $1.80 per 1,000 gallons, so my pool would only cost 36 bucks to fill over the course of two days. I cant imagine having to spring for 4 trucks full of water.

I am just trying to figure out why my pool is leaking. From what I can tell the pool started leaking when they started filling the pool up with water after they installed the new liner. That is when I started getting water dripping into my sump basin.

So if the brand new pool liner does not have any tears or holes and the pool was not operational, what could cause this water leak?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.