Opening Pool, Scaling on Walls=Discouraged!

May 16, 2012
NE OK
I was optimistic things would go well in opening my pool this year. I am in the shock process and I have been brushing the sides of the pool. There is some very bad whitish scaling all down the walls of the pool (bad enough to cause scratches and scrapes on swimmers). Scrubbing with a vinyl brush does next to nothing.

I have never had this problem before. How can I get rid of it? How can I prevent it from happening again? Please help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's pretty difficult to tell from that photo but calcium scale seems very likely.

It would be pretty impossible for scale to form with your current results so, at some point, your chemistry must have been w-a-a-a-y out of whack for an extended period.

If it was my pool, I would lower the pH to 7.0 and keep it there for what may end up being several weeks. Hopefully, the scale will start to dissolve. I can think of no quick fix.

Sorry, my pic turned itself sideways. I turned the filter off and took the pic this morning before the sun was on the pool. There is like a defined rim around the pool then an area where it's not so bad and then a whole lot down the sides. My water level is several inches above the first build-up. I got as close as I could get without getting my phone wet. My husband thinks it's calcium too. I am not sure why it happened because I followed the guide to closing my pool on here last fall....

What about the products the pool stores have for calcium? I have seen some good reviews on them and they seem to work in several weeks.

Could someone explain to me what causes calcium scale in pools so that I am educated and can hopefully prevent this from happening again as I am not sure why given my test results I have a problem to start with?

I am dropping my PH again to 7 to hopefully help with the scaling on the walls. My water is looking much better, we are getting close. I just have the issues with the scaling on the wall.

My CH started out at 200, 8 days ago when I started the shock process to open my pool. My CH is now down to 160.

We have had a lot of rain in NE OK the past week. I have had to empty quite a bit of water out of my pool. My stabilizer is also now down to 20. Is it ok to leave it there for now or should I raise it a little?
FC-6 (still shocking, bringing it up to 12)
CC-.5
TC-6.5
TA-100
CH-160
PH-7.3 (going to lower)
CA-20

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.