5 bottles bleach--no fc reading?

hd1080

May 1, 2013
Initial fc 0 cya saw no dot but I used 20 for cya like I was told. Pool calculator advised 2gallon 1qt 3cups of 8.25 % walmart bleach 121(used 128
drop down) oz and 1lb 7 oz of stabilizer. This was to get to 12 fc shock process an 30 CYA. Pool was tint of green could not see the bottom.
Two hours late fc 7. Next morning water did not turn pink after scoop-no fc. I do not know why b ut I put in 3 more bottles of bleach and in 2 days The pool has turned to a cloudy blue and I can barely see the bottom with no green. The latest numbers TA 60 CA 300 CYA a true 20 did not see dot. Ph low end normal. My queston is the 5 bottles of bleach. Is this alot and do I add more only to loose it because the CYA is low. If the CYA does not show up right away, should I add more stabilizer or that much bleach is not alot and would not show up anyway. I am trying, if not the site has really expainded the chemicals and what needs to be where

Thanks

hd1080:

hd1080 said:
The latest numbers TA 60 CA 300 CYA a true 20 did not see dot. Ph low end normal.
What are you using to test? Is CA really CH? On the pH, a good test kit should give you a precise number.

hd1080 said:
If the CYA does not show up right away, should I add more stabilizer
No, do not add any more stabilizer until you retest 5-7 days after adding it. It is much easier to add CYA if more is needed that it is to get rid of it if it gets too high.

It appears like you are attempting to shock the pool with an initial high dose of chlorine and it is getting used up because there are organics (algae) in the pool. Shocking a pool is a process, not a product. You need to test FC several times a day when shocking because the chlorine gets used up and you must add more to stay ahead of the organic contaminants.

Before we go much further, we need to know what you are using to run your tests. One key test result that I don't see is CC (Combined Chloramines). This is one of the measures that determines the need to shock.

I am using the t-100 kit. Once I added the powder and it did not turn pink meaning no chlorine I did not test for the CC. Not sure why I figured if no chlorine then I did not go any further. The ph was 6.8 using the kit in the t-100 So I knowI had alot of algea in the pool and I guess that is where the 5 bottles of bleach went to. I can now see the bottom and can vacuum out the rest of the junk on the floor. Since i am new to this BBB it is not uncommon to add alot more bottles of bleach as the test call for it during the process?

Welcome, and just a few points

1st the minimum reading on the pH test is 6.8 so yours may be well below that.

2, Your chlorine dosing may or may not have killed all of your algae, this is why we teach testing here, until you pass an OCLT and your water looks good it is hard to know if you have passed the standards for defeating algae

pool-school/defeating_algae]Defeating Algae

pool-school/overnight_fc_test]Overnight FC Loss Test

Reread the shocking process. pool-school/shocking_your_pool With algae, you may need to add bleach every hour to counter act what is being used up by the algae. Keep the FC at shock level during the whole process. If it gets lower you run the risk of the algae regrowing and getting behind in the process. 5 gallons over three days doesn't sound like enough to do the job. Heck, I use 1 gallon a day just to keep my FC at normal levels.

I just noticed that you said you saw no dot in the CYA test and assumed 20 for your CYA level. That sounds backwards to me. If you saw no dot then your CYA level is very high. The measurement is taken at the point when the dot disappears. The higher up the tube it takes for the dot to disappear the lower the CYA. If you fill the tube completely and you still see a dot you have little or no CYA in your pool.

What have you put in your pool to raise CYA? Straight CYA (conditioner) or have you used tricolor tabs? Is this a fresh fill or has the water been in the pool a while?

No my CYA was way low I saw the dot up the tube. Someone on here told me to assume it was 20 and go from there. I will adjust my ph and continue the shock process and add chlorine as I test. I used stabilizer powder not liquid.

thanks

I am still confused as to your CYA. Either I am not understanding what you are meaning or you are misstating what you mean.

"cya saw no dot but I used 20 for cya like I was told." ----Sound to me like your CYA is very high if you didn't see the dot.

"No my CYA was way low I saw the dot up the tube." -----Sounds like your CYA is low if you saw the dot from the top of the tube.

sorry.. my first numbers when I got the kit I filled the tube all the way and I still saw the dot clearly meaning I had no CYA or it was very low? Some one on here told me to assume it was 20 as far as the pool calculator and that is where I got the amount of stabilizer to enter.. I read on here it takes a while for the CYA to register so I can only assume the algea is eating up my chlorine and not the lack of CYA(sun) I would like to get my CYA up 50 because I have direct sunlight on my pool all day till 1700 hrsA to 30 just to clear it up then raise it accordingly.I hope this is right and it makes sense now or I still need to read more post.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the water in the tube for the CYA test was clear and not cloudy, then you may have no CYA at all in which case half the FC will get broken down by sunlight every hour during peak noontime sun. I'd put in at least a little CYA and the chlorine will likely hold much better. You can start adding 20 ppm if you're afraid there might be some already in the pool, though it sounds like there isn't very much.

I can definitely vouch that having no CYA will suck up your FC in a hurry, especially if you have clear sun on your pool during the day like I do.

I think the OP meant to tell us that he never saw the black dot disappear during his CYA testing.

Would you guys recommend that he does his chlorine hits in the evening and let the pump circulate over night so it can focus on any algae he's got rather than getting spent up by the sun during the day?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.