Bleach vs SWG

If you think you need to shock (which is likely) you should add chlorine manually. When shocking the pool you want the FC level to come up quickly, which is not what a SWG is designed to do.

You haven't told us much, so I have no idea if you need to shock or not. If you just opened and the water is clear the surface clean then there probably isn't any reason to shock. But if the water is cloudy/murky green then you clearly need to shock. We can give you much more detailed help if you give us more information, especially the rest of your chemical levels and what the water looks like.

How long has the chlorine been this low? What is CC? How does the water look? If it has been low for too long, you may need to shock. That is best done with bleach. I don't have a SWG, so take my advice with a grain of salt (pardon the pun). I would get the chlorine up to suggested range with bleach, and then adjust SWG percentage as needed.

Sorry should have added the water is crystal clear looks perfect but chlorine is low.

Still learning what % I should set my SWG at? PB said to leave it at 15% but I think that is too low. Have gradually raised to 25% and I feel that is probably too low as well. Running pump 8 hrs per day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is what I would do:

1. Add bleach to reach 4 ppm chlorine

2. Throttle your SWG up to 45%

3. Bump your CYA up to 70

4. Adjust your SWG to maintain levels as indicated in the chlorine/CYA chart

Your (our) SWG is capable of producing up to 1.25 lbs. of chlorine gas in a 24 hr. period. At 15% for 8 hours you were only making 1 oz. You need almost 2 oz. just to raise your pool 1 ppm. If you lose 2 ppm per day to sunlight.....well you know. Of course these are all approximations but at least it's a place to start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.