Sand in Bottom of Pool AND Pump Stopping Periodically

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Pool has been open for about a month. New propane heater installed at the same time. Can't get the heater to fire up, but that is another problem. Have a call into the installer to come back and check it out.

Starting to notice that there is sand on the bottom of the pool. Last time I replaced the sand, I replaced it with Zeo. I have read as many posts on this topic as I could find, and it sounds like I need to check for a broken lateral.

Pump seems to work just fine, but every so often the jets are not pumping water. The pump is still running, but nothing is coming out of the jets. The first time I realized this, I switched it to backwash, and nothing came out. Turned the pump off at the switch and switched it back on and it started pumping water out of the jets just fine. This has happened on more than one occasion in the past two weeks.

Are these two problems related? I am guessing forum advice would be to first check out the laterals.
My Hayward Sand Filter is over 10 years old, time to replace?
Control valve has been replaced twice. Pump has been replaced twice too over this same time period.

Appreciate any help

bjsbuds said:
Starting to notice that there is sand on the bottom of the pool. Last time I replaced the sand, I replaced it with Zeo. I have read as many posts on this topic as I could find, and it sounds like I need to check for a broken lateral.
Before doing that I would put a sock over the return and see if it catches any to confirm that is the source.

Are you getting air in your pump basket? If you are, then you may have a suction side leak and turning off the pump allows enough water in to allow your pump to run for awhile. What is the filter pressure when you are getting no flow? What is the filter pressure when the pump is off?

Before doing that I would put a sock over the return and see if it catches any to confirm that is the source.
I have now tried three times to place a sock over the return (jet pushing water in pool) and none of the times did it catch sand. Where would be the next place to help identify the source?

Are you getting air in your pump basket? If you are, then you may have a suction side leak and turning off the pump allows enough water in to allow your pump to run for awhile. What is the filter pressure when you are getting no flow? What is the filter pressure when the pump is off? The pressure shows 12 when the pump is off, have to wait for the water to stop pumping again to gain a reading on the pressure with no flow. [/quote]

You need a new pressure gauge, it should go to 0 with the pump off. Most hardware stores and pool stores have them and they are not expensive.

bjsbuds said:
I have now tried three times to place a sock over the return (jet pushing water in pool) and none of the times did it catch sand. Where would be the next place to help identify the source?
Can you get some off the bottom and see if it is gritty? If it isn't then it could be something like pollen...or it could be dead algae (and a sign that you have a low level growth of algae in the pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.