Considering Hayward SWG

May 24, 2013
South Florida
My family wants to switch to a saltwater system. I want to our local pool store (Pinch A Penny) and the guy said the best system they sell is the Hayward SwimPure Plus.

I'd estimate our pool to be 15,000-20,000 gallons but I'll need to do measurements to find out a more accurate approximation. I've read through this forum and see you recommend 1.5-3x for the cell capacity. Therefore, I'd go with the highest the store sells (40k).

Is Hayward a good brand? How about this particular model? Here it is on Hayward's website: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/SwimPurePlus_TriFold.pdf

I was quoted $1,150 for the system (not including installation costs).

FYI - My goal is to read through your forum and learn how to monitor and maintain the pool myself. However, I am not technical or much of a handyman so I really need someone else to install the system. That is why I went into my local pool store to find out what they sell. I see that you all advocate doing your own pool maintenance and that is my goal...I just need to learn how!

Oh, if it helps we live in Florida - outside West Palm Beach.

So...do you think this is a good buy? Is Hayward a reliable brand for a saltwater system?

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

The Hayward SWG's are my favorite in the middle price range. I've seen better prices than the one you are quoting, for example here. That is an Aqua Rite, which is identical except for labeling.

Thank you for the welcome and for the fast response!

That's good to hear that Hayward is a great brand. It's your favorite in the middle price range...wow. It seems pricey to me but I'm new to SWG.

Should I consider a more expensive brand or will this Hayward do the job? What if my pool ends up being 20,000 gallons? This 40k system will still work okay?

I should mention that my Pinch A Penny is running a promotion on this unit that will give me $75 off and a $100 gift card to Pinch A Penny if I order in the store.

I did some looking and found both on Pinch A Penny's website for $1,050 ($100 less than the in-store price...I guess that's where the $100 store credit comes in). Here are links to both on their website in case it's helpful:
SwimPure: http://store.pinchapenny.com/product/hayward-swimpure-salt-chlorinator?s=204
AquaRite: http://store.pinchapenny.com/product/hayward-aqua-rite-salt-chlorinator?s=204

The SwimPure and AquaRite are identical?! Wow...I had no idea. Which should I get? Does one look prettier? :-D Display and user controls are the same too?

Thanks for pointing out a cheaper site. My concern, however, is that if I don't buy from Pinch A Penny I won't have someone to install it. At least they're a well-known company. After the mail-in rebate I guess I'd be paying about $100 more for the system. I can either order online and pay $100 less or order in-person and get a $100 gift card. It doesn't make a difference if I'll use the $100 credit...I don't think. I really want someone to install it who does it all the time.

Jason:

Sorry to be responding again before you've had a chance to answer my last question.

I see you have the AutoPilot Digital. How does the Hayward SwimPure compare with that one? Does one last longer than the other?

I should mention that I am brand new to pool maintenance. I've always swam in pools maintained for me but I'd like to start doing it myself and I'd really like to go the SWG route.

The differences between the various brands of SWG are mostly about extra optional features and ease of finding service and repair parts. Nearly every brand will work. Hayward is the most popular, and thus the easiest to find someone familiar with and to find repair parts. AutoPilot costs more and has some nice extra features, like a full text display, but they are a little more difficult to get service and parts for.

Having someone local to do the install and future service if needed is a nice perk, certainly worth it for some people to pay a little extra for.

Hayward has a couple of different brand names, from companies they have purchased in the past, but the units are all the same as each other. As long as you match features between the various brand lines, they are identical inside.

Thanks again Jason. So, Hayward will do the job just fine but since my local (Florida chain) pool company sells and installs it it'll be easier to troubleshoot and get a tech out to repair, if necessary. That's helpful advice.

I think it makes sense to go with one of the most popular brands since I'll be a total newbie. My goal is to learn (mostly from you all it seems) how to care for the pool myself. But, if I run into major problems, being able to call someone to come out and take a look is really important to me.

Considering my situation, would you recommend this Hayward SwimSure/Aqua Rite system for me? I'll be brand new to pool maintenance (but I definitely plan on learning and NOT paying a pool service), brand new to SWG, and I want the option to select from a number of local providers to call if something should happen to the system.

It's nice that my local pool store carries the Hayward. I've heard Pinch A Penny is your everyday supplier so I'm somewhat surprised and happy to find out they stock a quality system.

Also, provided you think Hayward is a good solution for me, I'm seeing four different models with the AquaRite:
  1. AquaRite[/*:m:2esk3jh2]
  2. AquaRite Pro[/*:m:2esk3jh2]
  3. AquaRite 120[/*:m:2esk3jh2]
  4. AquaPlus[/*:m:2esk3jh2]

My pool store sells only what I believe to be the base model (AquaRite and SwimSure). Links to both are above in this thread.

Will this base model be sufficient for me? I saw somewhere online (can't find the link now but I think it was Hayward's site or a reseller's) that the base model is a "Good" solution and the others are Better, Best, High end.

Is there a difference? Should I look into the other models of the SwimPure/AquaRite?

I have all Hayward equiptment, and have had to call them a few times, I found their tech support to be very helpful. As with all tech support, if you don't like the answers you are getting, hang up, call back and get someone else on the line.

I can't comment first hand on SWG's since I use a liquid chlorine injection pump, but I would suggest watching a couple of SWG installation videos on youtube, even if you don't do it yourself, there really is not much to it, you will get an idea of the amount of work, and therefore perhaps a fair price to pay for the installation.

Ike

p.s. note some installations may be harder than expected due to tight spaces, etc.

Here is one of many videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQAkTyPD3_4

Nearly everyone wants the regular AquaRite. The 120 comes with a power cord for easier installation on temporary pools. The Pro version includes ORP and PH sensors, which I do not recommend using. The Plus version comes with an automation system, and is a great deal if you need both a SWG and an automation system but should otherwise be avoided.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
Nearly everyone wants the regular AquaRite. The 120 comes with a power cord for easier installation on temporary pools. The Pro version includes ORP and PH sensors, which I do not recommend using. The Plus version comes with an automation system, and is a great deal if you need both a SWG and an automation system but should otherwise be avoided.

When you refer to automation, do you mean the automation of adding everything (CYA and any other necessary products)?

No, the automation system in the Plus version is for switching electrical things on and off and turning valves. Chemical automation equipment is not mature enough to be used with outdoor residential pools.

JasonLion said:
No, the automation system in the Plus version is for switching electrical things on and off and turning valves. Chemical automation equipment is not mature enough to be used with outdoor residential pools.

Gotcha. Good to know. Thanks so much for your help (and to everyone else out there for contributing on this forum)!

I think I'll go with the base model (AquaRite/SwimPure). No need to spend more on automation.

It also sounds like the Hayward will work fine for me, especially as a newbie. I think I'll save the money and not pay for the bells and whistles of the AutoPilot...especially if the Hayward will do a nice job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.