Trying to raise pH

I have been posting as a new member (and new pool owner) in a different thread about what a mess my pool is in.

I purchased the required testing kit, tested everything (twice) and it has been determined that I have virtually no chlorine, green algae starting to grow and very low pH.

Before I can go through the recommended shock process, I need to raise my pH.

My water tests below 6.8 (how much lower I can't tell because the chart only goes to 6.8 but it is at least one shade lighter than 6.8)

Over the last 24 hours I have added 10 lbs of sodium carbonate (5 lbs at a time) let it circulate for a couple of hours and re tested after each application.

The pH remains below 6.8.

What am I doing wrong??

elainerader said:
Should I just keep adding 5lbs at a time and test after each one? An how frequently can I do this?

Thanks!
I would target 7.2. We already know your pH is less than 6.8, but if you put 5 lbs in while your pH is 6.7, you'll end up way too high.

After adding, let the pump run for 30 min. That's plenty of mixing time and you can try again.

day 2 of trying to raise pH.

In the last 2 days I have dumped 35 lbs of sodium carbonate. Today I dumped 15 lbs, 3 lbs at a time at 1 hour intervals and testing. So far it's still not the color of 6.8 on the test tube but getting close.

Pool is VERY cloudy, but strangely the green algae is almost gone.

Just making sure I should keep adding more sodium carbonate??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@ duraleigh:
That's an interesting point. I just tested the fill water and its a perfect 6.8. That's normal for city drinking water I would guess??

How did the pool pH get to be so low? Yes I know.....its called never checking it in the year I've had the pool! I was just shocking and adding algaecide once a week, and keeping the chlorine feeder full. That's what the pool guy told me to do after he installed the liner and I didn't hire him to do weekly pool maintenance! Even the pool store never asked me if I had tested the water when I told them of my algae woes this spring......

You all have educated and started me on the correct path.....although I have a feeling its gonna be a long haul!

If your chlorine feeder uses trichlor tablets, which most do, trichlor adds chlorine, cyanuric acid, and lowers the PH. You need to be constantly raising the PH & TA to compensate for the PH reduction caused by the tablets. You will also have issues with CYA building up to unacceptable levels eventually.

One thing to keep in mind is that the common PH test reports any level below 6.8 as 6.8, so your actual PH might be much lower.

David, what I meant was I tested my tap water and it was 6.8 I thought that's what you meant as "fill water". But I understand, I am targeting 7.2 - 7.8 in the pool.

I have read the ABC's and have it printed out along with many other sheets and they are with me next to my test kit. It was overwhelming at first but
I'm starting to understand......I just keep re-reading and testing.

Getting ready to dump some more Arm & Hammer!
Thank you all so much!!

EDIT: I see you answered your question, but I will post this anyway for future readers.
The tablets are mainly useful for vacation, but can be used for raising CYA a little if needed. Yes, you really should stop using the tablets. They are raising your CYA, which may already be too high (I don't see a current number posted) and are lowering your already WAY too low pH and TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.