Alkalinity Problems

May 27, 2007
I have owned my above ground pool for several years. It is an oval pool 32'L x 16'W x 4' with a gradual increasing depth to 5.5'.

For the first few years I had no problem with the chemicals and keeping everything clear and at proper levels. Over the last 2 or 3 years, I have been having a very big problem getting the Alkalinity to raise. Last year in fact the pool water was so acidic that everyones eyes were burning and the water has a foul tast.

I reasd on a few other forums that using "stabilized Chlorine tabs" will lower Alk. levels since they cointain CYA to stabilise the chlorine.

I have added many pounds of Borax and banking soda to the water to bring the ph levels up which contantly remain below 7.

Has anyone had similar problems with using stabilized chlorine??? This Year I am switching to the BBB method and using standard houshold bleach.

Thanks

Tom

Hi, Tom,

You've got a couple of things mixed up but, first, how does your water look now?

Secondly, can you post a set of test results (pH, Cl, TA, CYA, CH)? That would really help us get you where you need to be.

The reason trichlor tabs and dichlor granules lower pH and TA is because they are acidic (trichlor very acidic and dichlor slightly so) and also because the reaction of chlorine when it gets used up is also acidic so you are always adding acid to your pool! This is why a higher TA is usually recommened for pools that run on stabilized chlorine.
Unstabilized chlorine is alkaline and still has the same acidic reaction when the chlorine is consumed so they are fairly pH neutral when used over the long hall. They often require acid to maintain the pH in proper range so running a lower TA will help give better pH stability and minimize acid usage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.